a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Looking at buying a handheld GPS since the SoCal guys like to try and get me lost.:| Anywho, I was looking at the Magellan Sport Trac Pro and was wondering your thoughts on how it is or suggestions on others that are out there. Thanks
Elk

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
I just got the Sport Trak Map, it's Awsome! I use to have a Garmin GPS38. The Magellan is way better. It only takes a few minutes to lock on to the Satelites, I can even get readings in my house!

I was just about to post about "Geocaching" ever heard of it?

www.geocaching.com

It is like a treasure hunt. Type in your zip code and it will give you a list in your area. then look at the details. It gives you the North and West coordinates to find the treasure. There is a little more to it then that, but I just wanted every one to know about and have fun. Great fun if you have a dualsport!!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Elk, I have a Garmin III+, somebody sells one that is hardened (filled with epoxy I suspect) especially for use like dirt bikes etc. There are handlebar mounts, remote antennas and all sorts of things made for this unit and dirtbiking.

I think what you get is probably best decided by what you actually want to use it for.

Link to Garmin III+
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I also have the Garmin GPS III+ and the Garmin GPS V.  They are the best I have found for the bike.  The company that does the "hardening on the Garmins is http://www.cycoactive.com/ the also sell different motorcycle mounts for all brands of GPS

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Carlo, I have the sport trax pro, it works great, I use it when I go out and shoot the desert races, I map in the pit and head out, I could be 15-30 miles out and when I'm done, I head right back to the pit.

You can also get the bar mount for it

I'll have it sunday, you can take it on the ride to see how it works

oh, one other thing, you can up and download maps to/from a comp

Last edited:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I'm very happy with my Garmin III-Pilot. I've owned it a number of years, used both with dirt bikes and airplanes.

I've owned a number of Garmin products over the years (all aviation based), and am VERY impressed with customer service. This company is certainly the leader and innovator in this field.

Garmin is coming out with new stuff all the time. After misplacing my son yet again, I checked into a Garmin product that is a 5 watt two-way radio, with a GPS. You can send the GPS data between two units.

Pretty slick for motor-sickles.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks, I'll check it out Sunday Jim. Looks like an early B-day present coming my way!!:yeehaw::)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've got a couple of questions.

1)I'm wanting a unit that will allow me to run a loop, then come back to my computer download it and get a print out of the loop. Is this possible with the Garmin V? Would I have to constantly stop and enter a way points or would it constantly track my path and then be able to recreate it on the computer?

2) I have seen people carry them in a backpack while riding. Is this best or is mounting it better? Does anyone make a cushioned mounting unit for protapers?

3) Is extra software needed?

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
1. Most of them automatically track and make the waypoints. You can manually insert (hehehe he said insert) waypoints along the way for better tracking. I ended up getting the Magellan Platinum and it tracks real good.

2. I carry mine in a waist pack, notice i didn't say fanny, and it works fine. They are built pretty tough and putting them on bars doesn't seem to pose a problem, less of course you're "Over the bars" Gomer. It still tracks just fine.

3. You can buy topo software and street maps stuff that helps give you elevations and stuff. I use it to download it on the computer and it saves the routes, maps and way points. You can also plan a route and save it then download it to your gps.

I use it alot so I can get used to working with it. It's great when you get lost, which happens quite a bit or remembering a place you want to find again.;)

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Elk,

If you need some practice with the GPS, check out this web site http://www.geocaching.com/&nbsp; They give you the coordinates where things are hidden, and you can go on a treasure hunt.&nbsp; Maybe some of them are even in your local riding area.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
The Garmins GPS V comes with Mapsource software.&nbsp; You can use this to download from the GPS, but there is better software out there.&nbsp; I have the GPS V, and I use Delorme's Topo USA&nbsp;for my mapping.

Check with cycoacvtive for mounts for teh Pro Tapers&nbsp; http://cycoactive.com/gps/default.htm

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I have had an Eagle Explorer for around 7 years now. It works great for what I use it for. Saving fishing spots, marking roads and areas where I elk hunt, it sure makes it nice when you can find out how far one place to another is before you get out and walk thru the brush. It sure like's the Duracells though. But the way I use it this is not a problem. Before I head out into the brush or before I head for the trails on my KDX I pull out my GPS and save a waypoint where the truck is at. Then I turn it off and put it in its holster and forget about it until I'm ready to find the truck.
I'd like to have one those that has the mapping feature, but so far mine has done the job for me.
My brother bought an "E-Trex" I think it is called, and gave it to me to learn how to use it so I could teach him. IMO the $99 dollars or so he paid for that thing was a total waste! Aggravating pain in the butt is all I can say about it, compared to the Explorer.

Top Bottom