Garbo

Oct 14, 2001
I am thinking about getting a GPS unit, especially the new Garmin Rhino 120 radio + GPS. Wondering how good the down loadable maps are for riding use?

Do they look like trail maps you can get @ the Ranger staion e.g. (Jawbone/ Red rock Cyn) in Californa?

Any information would be great.

Thanks,
Garbo

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
GPS download maps probably won't have exhisting trails in the maps, as they seem to have only identified roads ie. numbered roads, I'm speaking specifically about Garmin software. However, there are creeks and lakes that are idenified. I have a Garmin as well, the alternative is to download your tracks ridden and upload these into your Garmin software on the computer. The show up as trails then on the computer. As for how the screens look on the GPS itself go to the Garmin website and you can see a facsimile there.

Garbo

Oct 14, 2001
Thanks for the info speedway.

I bought the Rhino 120 as well as an updated map of California put out by Topo Written by National geographic. I have computer connection problems since the cable has a femail 9 pin serial port connection, and my Sony laptop does not have a serial port (go figure). So I have not loaded the map in to my GPS, but I did load the CD's onto my computer and look at the area's that I like to ride and they show the trails. Most are marked 4wd, but they are there it will be interesting how accurate they are but they look pretty good so far.

Top Bottom