May 29, 2007
I just bought a Kawasaki KX500 and it's hard to start. The bike sat for few months and had to be pull started, the guy I got it from said it was always hard to start. I thought about bringing it to a local dealer to have it looked at. Anybody got and ideas?

May 29, 2007
I don't know much about the bike, but I'll be talking to the guy that I got it from. I don't think the plug is bad but I'm changing it. I know the piston and rings were changed a few years ago. The bike has a pipe and some porting done to it, but I don't know if the carb settings were adjusted for the porting. Anybody know what the compression should be at? Could it be a timing problem? When you give it a pull start it runs great. The last time it was pull started it was ran for 1/2 hour and parked, the owner give it a kick and it fired rightup. The owner said he was suprised it started on it's own. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Starting procedure for a my CR500 if it is cold (should work for your KX as well):
Turn gas on, pull out choke knob, lay bike on ground for 3 or 4 seconds and then pick it up. This puts a small amount of gas into the bottom of the motor and makes it much easier to start. A small amount of gas should flow out of the overflow tubes when you pick the bike back up. Slowly push the kickstart lever through several times. Next, find the start of the compression stroke and then let the kickstart lever all the way back up. Take up slack and then kick it through hard while just barely cracking the throttle. Two or three kicks and it should fire right up. Immediately modulate the choke off and on until it runs clean.

If you stall it hot, put it in neutral before you try to crank it. It can be started in gear but it is MUCH harder.

May 29, 2007
I busted my leg last in a car accident and I don't think I will be able to kick this thing for very long. If I can't get it to start right, I'll have to sell it and get something else. That pisses me off, this thing is supposed to fly.

May 29, 2007
Nobody has any ideas on how to fix this bike, or what to check? I guess I'll just have to take it to the dealer. Thanks for the replies guys.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Clean the carb, throw a new spark plug in it, check the power valve. Maybe you just need to kick harder, its kinda hard to diagnose when you did not give a lick of information.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
More than likely you're going to need to clean your carb, some carb cleaning fluid would do the trick. Then pop a new spark plug in, and you're ready to roll.

If that doesn't work, you need to look into it more because it could be something more serious.

May 29, 2007
The bike is a 87 KAWASAKI KX 500. The motor was rebuilt less than two years ago. We pull started the bike tonight (and it didn't take much) then rode it for an hour and shut it down. My buddy kicked the bike 5 min. after riding it and it fired right up. Tommorrow I'm going to ride it then let it sit for a few hours and try to kick start it. This is definately the fastest bike I've ever ridden.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Fast yes,easy to start,not unless you are gifted or weigh 250 pounds!Make sure your filter is clean,jet the bike and learn methods to help you start it,good luck!

Top Bottom