MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Hard to turn clickers

What makes fork and shock clickers hard to turn? I just got a 2000 YZ250 and the fork clickers are hard to turn and the rebound clicker on the shock is pretty stiff also. Is there something I can do to make them easier to turn? The suspension works wonderful but I am wondering if maybe there is some maintenance I need to do on them.. Any Ideas?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
anybody?

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
MikeT,
If the fork or shock hasn't been serviced in awhile, you could have a sludge build up in them or some sort of obstical in there, best to pull the adjusters out. A good cleaning might help this.
Lately I have seen the piston ports completly blocked by this, as they have never been service

Russ

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The bike has maybe 20 hours on it and the fork oil was changed by the previous owner when the seals were changed. My old 1996 never had this problem....

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I have seen brand new bikes that have never been ridden have sludge in the base.
I believe there was a post awhile back that also mentioned this.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
russ17 said:
I have seen brand new bikes that have never been ridden have sludge in the base.
I believe there was a post awhile back that also mentioned this.
Was the post on sludge in the base or hard to turn clickers? I'd like to see it. I'll try doing a search.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Come on all you suspension gurus!! Show me your stuff... Or has this question stumped you? Only russ has an idea on this?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive had a few like this-after a good clean and fresh oil they work like new-no real tricks either-they just seem to free up.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dont worry Mike, it doesnt matter where the clickers are on my yz forks, they are still crap- you arent missing much!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
marcusgunby said:
Ive had a few like this-after a good clean and fresh oil they work like new-no real tricks either-they just seem to free up.
Marcus, are you talking about completely dis assembling the forks and washing the clickers out with some sort of solvent?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I didnt even wash then with a detergent-the clickers if you take them apart is just a needle on a thread and a o ring seal, its the o ring seal that becomes dry and makes them hard to turn, i take the base valve out flush then in the parts washer and then work the clicker and it normally frees up.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
On seized adjusters, here in the land of Chad Reed we have a product called CLR.
Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover. I let the adjuster soak for a few hours and they generally free up. Works real well on lower fork leg adjusters that haven't been turned for ages and are exposed to the elements.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Ah ha, I have seen that advertised on the tube here in the states.
I will keep that in mine in case I get one of those PIA ones.

Russ

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
marcusgunby said:
i take the base valve out flush then in the parts washer and then work the clicker and it normally frees up.
Marcus, on my forks, the reboud is the one that is harder to turn and I'd like to start with it. Can I just remove the cap, as if I were going to change a spring, and work with that? Once that cap is removed should the clicker be removed or do I just drop the whole thing in parts cleaner?

ShawnMc

Mar 14, 2004
Id like to know this too. How do you get the clicker out of the fork cap or rebound adjuster? (Ive ride a honda with a showa fork)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Some might be pressed together or peened over but some just come apart in a systematic type of way . Marzocci stuff would sometimes fall apart.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Sometimes KTM PDS rebound adjusters get seized if the rubber cap gets moisture under it from swampy stuff powerwashing etc. then it has to be disassembled and greased. Alot of times shock rebound adjusters need to be referenced to the shaft depth or they wont work . Some Showa forks also. Sometimes I use this stuff from a gun supply house called bullet lube, It made from beeswax and when warmed up its very flowable then ewhen it dries it gets pasty . Works good for some things even gets into those heim joints that seem to be ungreaseable.

Top Bottom