saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I am new to the forums and didn't realize theres a very special KDX page. Since my questions reflect the KDX mostly I am copying and posting my thread here:

I'm new to the forums yet not new to the bike world. I'm 23, 6'2 at 155 lbs. I've had close to 13 bikes through the years (Most recent 5: 92Yz250, 98Kx125, 92Kx125, 86Kdx200 86Kx80) but havent had a bike for the past 5 years. I've racked up countless hours playing at a local MX track and even more hours playing in the woods. The only race I ever attempted was in 97 at Hurricane Mills, TN for round 3 of the AMA Hare Scramble Championship - Scott Summers, Steve Hatch, Rodney Smith, Scott Plessinger, were just a handful of "Gods" (hey I was only 13) that graced that races presense. Needless to say the course was just too much for me and my KX80 (Amatur D class?) and I had to drop out through the first lap.

Ok sorry for such the long intro. The point is that I'm a little older now and would like to take a stab at the local hare scramble tourney that starts this fall (put on by the Memphis Motorcycle Club.) Most likely in the lowest class. I am in need of a bike and thats where you guys come in.

I am thinking about a KDX220, CRF250, YZF250 or perhaps something you suggest. The price of the KDX220 is grabbing at me like no other. What would the best bike be for Hare Scrambles at the low level that I desire? For some reason I can't get the thought out of my head that the KDX220 is not a formidable race machine. Am I wrong in this idea? From what I read is sounds like it handles superbly through tight-track, yet lacks anywhere that opens up. KDX220 owners - is there much maintence required thats out of the ordinary?

CRF, YZF....4stroke 250s. Although I am pretty aggresive I am only 155lbs (soaking wet) and don't feel I will require a 400+CC 4stroke to rock through the woods. I don't know much about the 4strokes as I have never owned one. I believe myself to be a great mechanic (built a 11sec Nova at age of 19) so not that anything would scare me but I'm not looking to purchase anything thats going to require much maintence. I read somewhere that the 4strokes have valve problems, did I read wrong or do they need alot of special attention?

Basically - Would a KDX220 work for my mild-aggressive manner for racing hare-scrambles or is it more of just a trail bike? Please don't let me paint a picture that I am only going to be racing this though. No matter what I buy it WILL have more hours of just plain ole trail-riding. OR - do I need to look into the newer 250 4strokes? (Do they handle in the woods like a KDX?)

I don't mind purchasing any of the mentioned brand new but at the same time the used KDX price is grabbing me hard.

(I apologize for anyone having to suffer through this entire post)

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
You can’t beat the price. Maintenance isn’t bad and we all know it’s a great trail bike. I just entered the sport last summer and have raced in 5 Harescrambles so far. Getting better and better with every race, even placing in the last one! I’m still running stock so I know there is more power to be found when I want to tap into it. Jeff Fredette certainly has been competitive on the KDX. If you’ve got the money and the time for maintenance you might want to go with something else, but I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the KDX.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Check with your local race promoters and see if they have a little c or little b class. If they do the KDX 200 will do fine. Save the extra money for your entry fees. As far as maintenance the KDX is almost maintenance free.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I suspect that you want a 200 rather than a 220. First, you will read here that the 200 has the bigger carb and winds out better, and second a 220 will put you (most of the time) in the 250 class with lots of hot motors and riders. Start with a KDX 200. You should not get burned on the buying or resale. Easy to ride and maintain plus lots of dealers and aftermarket parts. Then when you see where you like to ride and compete? then perhaps get a more specialized/competitive machine. Welcome back, John

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Perhaps a CRF250X would fit you. Very excellent susp, and you have mechanical experience so checking and shimming valves should not be a problem. At your wt, 155, it would be perfect for you straight of the showroom floor, susp wise.

Other than keeping an eye on the valves, the CRF X has the same maint the rest of them do, oil, tranny fluid, air filter.(air filter is the key to good valve life) I clean my filter after every ride, unless it was a short one. After six months my valves are still spot on.

Did I mention the great susp???

All this is dependant on whether you are willing to pay the price of a new CRFX.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
John Harris said:
I suspect that you want a 200 rather than a 220. First, you will read here that the 200 has the bigger carb and winds out better, and second a 220 will put you (most of the time) in the 250 class with lots of hot motors and riders. Start with a KDX 200. You should not get burned on the buying or resale. Easy to ride and maintain plus lots of dealers and aftermarket parts. Then when you see where you like to ride and compete? then perhaps get a more specialized/competitive machine. Welcome back, John
Of the two KDX's a 200 is def what you want. The 220 is even more mild and will bump you into the 250/open class. I raced a 200 for half a season and won some C class harescrambles on it. I finished up the season on MX based bikes, but am not sure I did any better than I would have on the KDX. The KDX is super easy to ride and will get you to the front of the C class quickly, after that it gets more questionable. My main problems were weight and ground clearnace. I found that it got hung up in ruts much more easily than an MX bike and didn't seem to slow down or change direction as quickly as an MX bike given equal riders. Of course with a great rider the KDX can do well at the highest level of comp, but with equal riders I belive something more modern would give you an advantage once you get up to B or A class speed. I'm currently riding a almost stock CR250R in the woods and love it. If I were getting a new woods bike I'd get either a CRF250X, a Gasgas EC200 (most likely option) or a KTM EXC200. In terms of value, the KDX is an amazing bargin but if 2k isn't a deciding factor there are much more modern options, the 200 2-strokes being my fav and the 250F's taking second. The 250 2-strokes are also very good, but are probably a bit much for woods work, but make a great budget bike. You can get a used one fairly cheep and still have serious performance, just be sure to train a little extra:)

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I want to thank everyone for their input and time they have devoted to my dilema. After considerable research I came to a decision and bought a bike. I decided that since I am not trying to be Jeremy McGrath, yet a weekend trail rider who occasionally try's hare-scrambles, a KDX would suit me best. After typing in KDX in good ole **** a few came up and one imediately caught my eye. When I glanced at the location it just happened to be my hometown. Giving the fella a call I learned that he lived no more than 2 miles from my house. I figured that this was fate so I had no choice but to purchase it. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 KDX 200 that sat in a showroom until 2003.

Sherby24501

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2004
I have a 220KDX and run in the 2 Hr Open capacity Class. The really quick guys ride KTM 200/300 EXC or 250 Four strokes

Buy a camel back, Hand Guards, engine skid plate (optional), I have just fitted a steering damper but have not tried it yet.

Go to the Gym also !

Have Fun

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sherby24501 said:
I have a 220KDX and run in the 2 Hr Open capacity Class. The really quick guys ride KTM 200/300 EXC or 250 Four strokes

Buy a camel back, Hand Guards, engine skid plate (optional), I have just fitted a steering damper but have not tried it yet.

Go to the Gym also !

Have Fun

I'll second the hand guard and camel back! :bang:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
saveaux said:
After typing in KDX in good ole **** a few came up and one imediately caught my eye. When I glanced at the location it just happened to be my hometown. Giving the fella a call I learned that he lived no more than 2 miles from my house. I figured that this was fate so I had no choice but to purchase it.
Ha, that's funny, when I decided I had to have a Husky 360, a quick check of "the Bay" revealed one bike in the entire nation and it happened to be 4 miles from my house. So I'm familiar with the "fate" thing.
Good luck with the KDX, but Huskies are the best woods bike on the planet! They're also adrenaline factories. :cool:
BTW, your hometown is mine too. Where ya ridin'?
Whispering Woods Golfcourse closed last week so they can build warehouses. I think I'm gonna go rip it up before they start the dozers Woo hoo!!! (I'd better take bail money with me too!) :laugh:

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Old Timer - I attended a meeting for the Memphis Motorcycle Club and became a probationary member. I have been riding every weekend on one of three lands that they lease. Its out in Somerville and is about a 5 miles loop through the woods that they race hare scrambles on during the fall and spring time. We are going Saturday morning bright and early, are you intrested in heading out there with us? I believe that a good deal of the club will be out there this weekend trying to prepare the track for the next weekend which will be a fun type ride event.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
saveaux said:
We are going Saturday morning bright and early, are you intrested in heading out there with us?
The big drawback for me is my work schedule (3-11 Thur-Mon).
My kids ran in all of the MMC hare scrambles last spring and we intend to do it again this year. But since I have to be at work by 3pm, I don't get to run. I've been meaning to go to the "second Tuesday" meetings but just haven't made one yet. The news that they have riding areas is reason enough to make the next meeting. Maybe we'll see ya there!

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Being able to ride their lands was reason enough for me to join as well. The land out in Somerville cost the clube $3k a year. Since we rent it year round we can ride all through the winter and not have to worry about hunters. If your kids ran all the hare scrambles then you have already been to all the land that we lease. Saulsbury TN, Slayden MS, and Somerville TN.

We usually arrive at Somerville around 7-8am and leave b/w 12-1pm. Where do you work? Would you not have enough time to make it back by then?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Yep, I've got all of Fredette's mods on my 220 motor. the bike suprizes everyone that rides it.
I always see KDX's at the hare scrambles.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
saveaux said:
I want to thank everyone for their input and time they have devoted to my dilema. After considerable research I came to a decision and bought a bike. I decided that since I am not trying to be Jeremy McGrath, yet a weekend trail rider who occasionally try's hare-scrambles, a KDX would suit me best. After typing in KDX in good ole **** a few came up and one imediately caught my eye. When I glanced at the location it just happened to be my hometown. Giving the fella a call I learned that he lived no more than 2 miles from my house. I figured that this was fate so I had no choice but to purchase it. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 KDX 200 that sat in a showroom until 2003.

I love my KDX200!!! I think you made the right choice.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Zerotact said:
Yep, I've got all of Fredette's mods on my 220 motor. the bike suprizes everyone that rides it.
I always see KDX's at the hare scrambles.
Do you have the FRP Port Job? If so any problems with jetting or so forth??

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I have an FRP port job and have had no problems with it at all. Bike pulls good and revs MUCH higher than stock. Everything is give and take, I gave some low end, and took on tons of new mid and top end power.

1swarty

Nov 29, 2003
If your into really riding woods/harescramble I would stick with Fredette for everything. I have a Fredette Cylinder and head mod, Fredette carb bore, Rad valve and FMF torque pipe. Never fouled a plug or even had to change the jetting that Jeff supplied. You need to get your suspension set up for your style of riding ( bring the gold card the first time) and keep if fresh. This bike doe's more than I possibly imagined. Most recent success Holeshot 2005 Unadilla GNCC Super Senior b/c, 4th at end. 97KDX220
Swarty

Top Bottom