SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, I'm a motocross/supercross racer, i am very interested in racing hare scrambles, what mods do i need for these types of races i have a 2002 yz 125 with a gold series fatty pipe, and a fmf shorty pipe. Do i need a bigger gas tank. Any thing i need or any tips for these types of races would be greatly appreciated.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
There are numerous threads in this forum on this subject. Try a search for more ideas.
First you need to soften the suspension. Larger tank is a maybe depending on the length of the races you will run. Bark busters and a stock or Q silencer will help your bottom end, you might even need a sparky.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If it's like out here you will need a spark arrestor and also to pass a 96dB sound check. Might as well get an FMF Quite Q.

Hand guards
A skid plate
Depending on the terrain you will more than likely need to soften the suspension
Stock tank should do you ok, the few races I have done in Michigan and Arizona have ample opertunities to gas up.
The most important thing to do with your bike is have fun on it!

There's many more mods you can do, but I consider the above enough to get you going.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
In district 23 the "C" class races run 1 hour. A stock tank will be fine with no gas stops needed.

The A and B riders go for 2 hours, so people with stock tanks will have to pit for gas once. Personally I would leave the stock tank on and pit, rather than adding a lot of weight with an oversized tank.

Up here all of the starts are dead engine. Make sure your bike is warmed up before you pull to the start line. You might have a minute or two to warm it up at the start line, but I would recommend warming it up ahead of time.

The hardcore Hare Scramble guys cut their bars down to 30'. Just realize that the longer your handlebars are the tougher it will be to get through the tight sections. Mine are about 32' and I don't have too many problems.

A camelbak would be a good idea as well.

Skid guards and such can be really nice, there are often times logs or rocks that you hit the frame on.

Spark arrestors will probably be required, and sometimes a registration sticker will be too (if on public land).

Also FYI the classes go strictly by engine CC, a 250f races in the same class as a 250 smoker.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
mox69 said:
Also FYI the classes go strictly by engine CC, a 250f races in the same class as a 250 smoker.

Out here we are 200/250f, 250/450f, and 251/451f.
If I remember correctly in Michigan it was even divided so 2 and 4 strokes were seperate classes. This was in 2005 though, everything could have changed on me now.

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
Nchsa

I want to try out a hare scramble but i really don't want to put a new silencer on my bike and find out that i don't like hare scrambles, Does anyone know what the requirements for NCHSA on things like dB level, and spark arrestors. I just don't want to change a lot of things to try out one race.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Again I can only speak from my experience.

If your riding on "private land," they are very liberal with the SA requirements. The previous race I was at they just gave people some wire and a mesh screen to put over the back.

So far all of the races I have been to, you have to pass a sound test. 96db** is the limit here. Almost every two stroke will pass that, possibly not if you have a shorty silencer or something weird.

In MN when races are held on public land state agents (DNR) show up and check for USFS approved spark arrestors and a current off road registration for the bike.

Best bet is to call the people in charge of the race and ask.

**Also note that they just started doing sound checks at MX races around here. For some reason that limit is 99db. Lotsa people getting confused / annoyed with that in my district.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom