Feb 20, 2004
hello people i have an 03 yz 250 and i plan on racing hare scrambles and right now i have an sst pipe and shorty silencer on the bike and i was wondering if i get a sparky spark arrester for the shorty because i love the power of the bike right now as is and i was thinking of either just getting away with the sparky or getting an fmf turbine core. with either of these will they change the power and will have to re jet the bike for these changes or will it be so small a change it wont affect it. which would you people think i should get for hare scrambles and if i do get the sparky will that make me legal to race or could i just run the bike as is

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I'm pretty sure you will need a sparky for a woods type race. The difference with a sparky and a shorty will be minimal but definitely noticeable. The bike will feel bogged down a bit or detuned. I don't know if jetting could fix that but I hate running the sparky. It takes away from some of the low end response the shorty gives.

Feb 20, 2004
what about the turbine core they both say they don't "rob power " but im not sure if that true and if i go with the sparky how easyily can it be taken off and on again when im not racing

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
youdrivemenutswithnopuncuationdidyougotoschoolandifsomabyyoudidnotpassenglishmabyifyourparentsmadeyoustudymoreandridelessyouwouldnotmakeyourselflooksoignorantthisisnotachatroomfullof13yearoldstryandkeepupkandtheboltonsparkysux

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
It robs power...not alot but enuff to notice right away. Takes away from the snappy feeling. Shouldn't affect racing.

THe sparky is easy to take on and off. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to switch them out. I do this all the time. It would be even faster if you buy some extra rubber grommets for the 2nd silencer so you don't have to take them out everytime. Just leave em on the silencers, loosen 4 bolts and your done.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Sparkys suck. I would pop the extra cash and get a real S/A silencer.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Oops, I thought you were talking about a spark arrestor not a bolt on spark arrestor for your current silencer. Don't know about those, other than that they tend to come off sometimes.

Feb 20, 2004
YZ165 said:
youdrivemenutswithnopuncuationdidyougotoschoolandifsomabyyoudidnotpassenglishmabyifyourparentsmadeyoustudymoreandridelessyouwouldnotmakeyourselflooksoignorantthisisnotachatroomfullof13yearoldstryandkeepupkandtheboltonsparkysux

o thank you for your input. you were a real help. please that IS sarcasm people please give me actual advice not just make fun of my typeing and spelling abilities.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
Dirtbike'n man said:
o thank you for your input. you were a real help. please that IS sarcasm people please give me actual advice not just make fun of my typeing and spelling abilities.

I don't think he meant it personal, it is just a pain in the ass to understand without punctuation. No sweat or harm :cool:

Anyway, sparkys suck, also so do spark arrestors. on my YZ250, it turns the powerband down, actually shifts the power from the top-end to the bottom end. Worthless piece. Only use if it you absolutely have to..

Top Bottom