harescrambles ? and how to get started

Feb 20, 2004
hello everyone. i want to start harescrambles. i am 14, about to turn 15 in a few weeks. i have been riding for a long time since i was young and i have just got a new bike that i want to race cuz its fast and im fast on it but i have not experiance with large racing. i have raced my buddies down and thru tought technical sections and i am faster then all of them. my bike is a 03 YZ 250 and i was wondering if i run in the 250 C class that im gonna get smashed into a tree. My dad is scared that i will get messed up if i race. And i don't know where to start out racing or what i need. Is there a limit in motor size in the begining class for harescrambles. and i don't really have alot of money to race but i wanna try it out and see how it is so i could use any and all advice thank you

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
hey, im 15 and i race hare scrambles, have since i was 11...... to get started u just need to find out some stuff about ur local hare scramble series (race dates, class limits, entry fee, etc) u could prolly ask ur local dealer and get some of this info........ i would suggest starting in beginner, and seein if this is somethin u really want to dedicate alot of time, money, and effort towards........ the entry fees are usually $20 and a $5 gate fee.......... if u can find a schedule for the series, find one thats not too far from u and hit that one, that way gas money isn't so expensive....... when u get there, just start talkin to people, make friends, most riders are really nice and wanna be friendly and helpful......... maybe find someone thats racin the same class as u and u can hang out w/ them before and after the race, it always helps to cut down the nerves if you have someone u can hang out with........ as far as the race goes, have some handguards, a skid plate, a camelback, all the other gear (chest protector for SURE) and just have fun.......... these are endurance races so pace yourself, but dont get too wrapped up in doin good ar anything, the first couple of races are just to get ur feet wet and get some experience...... dont be afraid to pull over during the race and get a breather, anything that'll help u make the whole 2 hours........ did i mention HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!! try and talk to a bunch of people at the race and they will help u out with any other questions u have.
HAVE A BLAST, U PICKED THE RIGHT SPORT! :aj:

L

LukeRips

Hare Scrambles are by far my favorite type of racing. It's not only you against the other guys in your class. It's you against the elements, but more importantly it's you against you. There's nothing more fun than running with that freight-train of 5 other bikes through the trees or being off by yourself (Hopefully out in front) running at your pace. It's all good!

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Well, if you don't have a lot of money, it can be pretty expensive. Your first race, you need to buy an AMA card ($40), a district card (probably $15-$20), pay the gate fee ($5-$10) and the entry fee ($20-$30). Plus, obviously fuel and oil for the bike, gasoline for your haul vehicle and food for you. So, all said and done, your first race might set you back $120-$150 total. After that, it will get cheaper, though, because you'll have the AMA and district card.

As for getting slammed into a tree, you very well might, but that's the risk of racing in the woods. You'll probably be OK, though. The first rule to remember is when the A and AA guys lap you to get out of the way -- not getting out of their way is a sure-fire way to get slammed into a tree, and hard.

As for doing well, don't even worry about that. Most people don't ride at full race speed for two hours without any breaks, which is what a harescramble is, so you really don't know how your body will handle it. You might do great in your first harescramble, you might bonk. Who knows? Who cares? Just ride within your abilities and have fun.

Want to have an even better time? You had a couple bikes listed above your post. Suggest to your dad he race the old bike in the +40 or +30 class and you race yours in C or Trailrider, whatever they call it over there.

A cheaper alternative for you guys might be a local club race. I obviously have no idea if you have these over there, but we have some in our neck of the woods. Basically, they are of shorter duration on shorter courses and aren't sanctioned by the AMA. You also get less serious participants, so they're a lot safer. They are far cheaper both in terms of not needing any memberships and lower entry fees. Personally, unless I was strapped for cash that week, I wouldn't get into the little club races so much, but for someone who has never done a harescramble before, regardless of that person's skill level, I'd definitely suggest them.

However you go about it, certainly go for it. Harescrambles are an absolute blast.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I see that you are from MN, the AMA district you are in is District 23. The web site is http://www.armca.org/ Click on the event schedules and you can find the Hare Scramble info. I know that most of the District 23 Hare Scrambles and Enduros do a sound check and some check for a spark arrestor, so make sure to check with the clubs before you go.

The web site also has the rule book and a message board. You may be able to find out info from other MN races.

As everyone else has said, make sure you go and just try to have fun at the first couple! Good luck.

Top Bottom