Has anyone used VP Ultimate 2 ?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Ultimate 2 fuel for two strokes....I've seen posts on Ultimate 4 but not ultimate 2 which has a higher octane rating the U 4...

Been usuing C12 with great success but would like to try this oxygenated fuel (Ult. 2).

Any info will be appreciated

Thanks

Are you referring to VP MR-2?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Are you referring to VP MR-2?

Your favorite magazine has a blurb this month called "The cold hard truth about race gas" which includes some info on VP's Ultimate 2 (95 octane), which they claim has a 6.2 percent oxygen content (illegal for AMA competition). It's a sister to the Ultimate 4 but it's made for two strokes. MR2 is a different VP fuel than Ulitimate 2 and costs more.

Their tests claim an actual gain of 1 horsepower for a 125 and 2 horsepower on a 250.

Don't hold me to any of the facts or figures, because I copied directly from MX action. :laugh:

MikeS

Lifetime Sponsor
At the last discussion (8 weeks ago) with my VP rep. I said I used alot of Ult 4 in our 2 strokes with great results. In our 85 with a 105 kit it had detonated some and I splashed some C12 in. He stated that was a big mistake to use Ult 4 in a 2 stroke and adding C12 was a bigger mistake. I asked WHY? he could not answer other than that is what he was told. VP fuel charts did show Ult 4 as a good fuel for stock 2 strokes. I then asked for him to have someone call me as I peddle alot of this stuff to local racers. I got no response so I called well I was told that all the chemical dudes are working with the drag race guys and it would be a few weeks for a Real answer.

Now someone says Ultimate 2 is out...oh boy another marketing tool. VP is starting to P me off. I find that marketing like this spoils the true good products.

I guess I may take a road trip out for some Phillips products just for myself. They seem much more stream line and application specific.

There was a rumor going around that VP was going to do a two-stroke specific version of Ultimate 4. They haven't responded to my previous inquiries and their website makes no mention of it in the technical docs so I wasn't sure if it actually existed. Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

It makes sense that you could tweak U4 and put a bigger hook in the end of the distillation curve to help cool the piston crown and make the distillation curve of the fuel more two-stroke friendly. You could also add a heavy aromatic to U4 and accomplish pretty much the same thing assuming the octane requirement can be met.

Mike - Dr. Dave Redszus has a product called B04 that will accomplish this very thing if you are interested.

Last edited:

MikeS

Lifetime Sponsor
Thanks Rich

I was venting about the VP stuff. I hate when they keep changing stuff as it only confuses the customer. I need to spend a half hour expaining it. I only peddle this stuff to support my own habits :) Plus you learn alot too.
Dr Dave mentioned that stuff and I will have to look into it as B04 has addressed more than one issue when blending...

Mike

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
and here was me thinking good ole Rich was at the cutting edge of fuel research, yet he has been caught napping and even got scooped by MXA! :eek: :moon: i am bitterly disapointed.

Rich, would you like me to send you this issue so we can fully bring you up to speed with the finer aspects of racing fuel? :confused: is there anything else we can help you with? ;)

i am just wondering if now would be a bad time to ask you to check out the wear marks on my old 58mm piston, LOL :) but moreover, i am hope he appreciates my moronic sense of humor!

cheers

Originally posted by bclapham
Rich, would you like me to send you this issue so we can fully bring you up to speed with the finer aspects of racing fuel? :confused:
Bruce - I'm not sure my feeble little pea-brain could handle that level of information overload. :eek: In fact just thinking about it makes me want to lie down with a damp cloth on my head. :confused:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
I would like to hear more about why you should not run the ultimate 4 in 2 strokes.
SKXR - In a full tilt two-stroke the MON rating of Ultimate 4 might be inadequate, but in most dirt bike applications it should work quite well. The fact that the same VP rep said not to use C12 in two-strokes makes me wonder if he is selling the fuel or :scream: huffing it

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
LOL- did you no there is no point in running C12 in a stock 2 stroke since it doesnt make anymore power than pump gas as shown on a back to back dyno run?

MikeS

Lifetime Sponsor
LMAO bruce.....

Rich
The rep ment do not mix C12 with Ult4. Actually do not blend any fuels. I got a chuckle since VP uses C12 and C16 for bases in their CMP and DRT outlaw fuels.
I also spoke to Doctor Dave and he said that B02 and B03 (not sure if you knew about it) is what he has on the "shelf" for blending.
B03 is neat but has a boiling point of 80-85 degrees but it does not change the dielectric readings like B02. He is sending me a batch of B02 to play with :). He said be careful...too much is bad.

SRKX
I agree with Rich 100% . In our mod bike RM105 and our TM125 (it revs way out) both of these experienced detonation at hi RPM. The RM105 was fitted with a digital PVL ignition and that cured the problem as did a spash of C12 or VP110(red).

steve125

Lifetime Sponsor
After my dyno testing, I spent quite a few weekends trying to choose which fuel combo felt best to me on the track. The mr2 and ultimate4 at a 50/50 mix, was a very good combo. But an even better combo and the best ive ever felt out of a race fuel was the 50/50 mix of mrx01 and the Ultimate4. A crisp throttle response and a hard pump fuel like mid hit leading to a strong top with no detonation. Both of these fuel mixes required 1 richer on the main jet and  1 clip richer on the needle. These extra OX fuels really make power and will change your jetting, so watch out for that.

Rich! finally ive got away from 50/50 with pump fuel! and glad to say will never go back. At least as long as Ultimate 4 or 2 is available :worship:  

Originally posted by MikeS
LMAO bruce.....

B03 is neat but has a boiling point of 80-85 degrees but it does not change the dielectric readings like B02.
... and it doesn't add oxygen so the jetting doesn't shift the same as B02. It's like a bottle of instant throttle response. I think it's Pentane based.

Last time I talked to Dave he said B04 should be available by now, something must have delayed it.

The combination of those three additives certainly opens up a TON of possibilities ;)

Originally posted by steve125
Rich! finally ive got away from 50/50 with pump fuel! and glad to say will never go back.
COOL, it's good to hear all your research has paid dividends Steve. :thumb: