2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Maybe it's me, but it seems the activity on the Forum has declined significantly over the past year. Used to be a daily activity to read, enjoy, make smart-alleck comments, or, occassionally, actually answer a question. So, if I am correct, just wondering what's up. Has the economy perhaps been so stifled for so long that people are just avoiding the hobby?? Are the new bikes so good people don't need any information?? Perhaps, the data base from the DRN gurus is now so complete that people can just do a "search" and find their answer without leaving a visible footprint. Or maybe I am just mistaken and the posts aren't down at all.........
I know that, while my income hasn't declined, neither has it increased. And the cost of necessities has increased significantly, leaving less for play. But probably more important is that I am expected to achieve a whole lot more at work and at home to stretch that salary. This leaves less time for play.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Since becoming the Master of All Space and Time, my spare time has been limited...which is odd sicne I am the Master and I should easliy be able to make more time...OK, done. I now have more time.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Over time as social media like FB and Twitter have grown in popularity, forums have slowed to be more specific.

The most posts on forums I see are on forums that allow for all sorts of crazy discussions that offend and harrass.

FB allows for people to be their own forum administrator and only let in those they like.

DRN is still great for getting quality information but the old days are gone :(

Still have a lot of great friends from here and great memories.

Ivan

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, I think most of the crew from DRN is on FB now. It sure seems like DRN is more technical than social these days.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I still ride with DRN'ers when I have the opportunity. The social aspect isn't totally gone but changed direction a bit.

I still come to DRN every day to see if there is anything new and to look up tech info when I need it.

Ivan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
_JOE_ said:
Yeah, I think most of the crew from DRN is on FB now. It sure seems like DRN is more technical than social these days.
I don't have a FB account. Don't want one. The only thing that has slowed me down is just the lack of reasonably close riding areas. The nearest one to me is 1 1/2 hours. We do have Andrews track closer but it is one tight Arena cross style track that is just over my head. I need a more tame track. That is the only thing slowing me down.

BTW, I'm still faster than that Spode guy.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I still check in daily. Post occasionally. Hate seeing people abandon such a phenomenal successful site. Really need to put together another Dirtweek. I would take lead on it but my business has me tied up 14hrs + most days.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
MikeT said:
I don't have a FB account. Don't want one...
Same here. The whole social networking thing just goes over my head. Our society has become way too impersonal and Twitter and FB have not helped. I see peoples head buried in their Balckberrys and I-gadgets instead of just taking face to face or at least making a phone call. Sorry, that's just how I feel. :nod:

I try to checkin with DRN everyday but just don't have the time to post as much as I'd like.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
RM_guy said:
Sorry, that's just how I feel.

You aren't hurting my feelings. I have a facebook page because of work, but haven't ever posted anything on it and never look at it. Now how in the heck that helps my work is beyond my ability to comprehend.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
RM_guy said:
Our society has become way too impersonal and Twitter and FB have not helped. I see peoples head buried in their Balckberrys and I-gadgets instead of just taking face to face or at least making a phone call.
This is why I tell my kids to put down the i-gadgets, DS and other things and look out the windows when we are driving in the car. They might learn something other than the high score. I know I bought those games for them and that's why I ban them on any trips less than 30 minutes.

I'm just so evil! :p

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Lots of watchers, not too many posters. In the KDX forum I get it, you kick it over it fires up, you go riding, not much more to say. I am also wondering if as many people can afford to go riding these days. If the bike sits in the garage then there's not too much enthusiasm to talk about it and for that I think we can thank the bike manufacturers. I know of people who simply don't ride any more because the cost of maintenance on these high performance 4 strokes is too prohibitive. Not a good day for any sport when that happens. Just my opinion.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I don't think the modern thumpers are the reason people are quitting riding. If it is it's a pretty sad excuse. You can pick up a 2000+ 2stroke for well under 2 grand, even a really nice clean low hour bike. If anything the modern 4 strokes made getting/riding a 2 smoker more affordable. If you can't afford to maintain a thumper don't buy one. If you can afford one they are pretty fantastic bikes. I loved my CRF. I think it was easier and safer to ride than a 2 stroke. No doubt more expensive though. In the end I decided it wasn't for me, I needed something I could ride more often so I felt better about having the money in it. The DRZ400S was the answer. I have been REALLY considering building a KTM300 2 stroke and plating it though. Once you have 2 strokes in your blood it's hard to let them go, lol.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I am actually planning on going riding this Saturday for the first time in a LOOOONNNG time. Of course, the place I will be going to will be implementing a price increase so that's always nice to know. You know I already have to drive nearly 2 hours to get there so the price increase doesn't help. I think the whole problem is that there are not many places to ride locally. I have to live in a medium sized city inorder to work so there are no places to ride close by.

Top Bottom