TwoFifty

Aug 15, 2008
Ok so i went riding today with a friend and my brother, we were hitting some trials and doing a few short up hill runs, it was pretty dusty and i got stuck a few times, i then managed to somehow drop the bike, i was tired by then. I didn't try to go any further i turned back and rolled back to a flat spot, at this point i was pretty tired and again managed to drop the bike again on its right hand side. (Exhaust side) When it hit the floor it pushed the hand/lever guards on the handle bar inwards so my throttle became very sticky, i knew i could fix that by adjusting it but the tools were in the truck so i carefully rode it back, on the way back i was in 3rd and slowed down as i did the bike bogged pretty bad, i just dropped a couple of gears thinking that would solve it but it didn't and the bike died. I could not re-start the bike.

After pushing it back to the truck i proceeded to remove the bolt on the bottom of the carb to drain the excess fuel, it was pretty well flooded. Cleaned it up and re-assembled it but it still would not start, the air filter is pretty dusty and i pulled the plug out, it didn't look to bad but did have a light covering of oil on it. I have no idea why it wont start, im changing the plug tomorrow and cleaning the filter and im going to try again. Does any body have any tips as to why it may not be starting, ive never had any problems with it starting before since i bought it 2months ago and nor did the previous owner. so im stuck lol.
\
Thanks in advance ..

Bike is a 96 Kawasaki kx250

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Iluvdirt123 said:
it sounds like your reed valves are blown. *ouch* that could be expensive too
:rotfl:

Change the plug, if that doesn't do it check the compression. I wouldn't bet the farm on reeds causing the bike to die, but even if they are junk they only cost about 30 bucks.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Sounds like a typical fouled plug to me. Riding slowly, especially on a bit of down grade and the cylinder temperature drops too low to burn the oil and the plug fouls.

Always keep a spare plug handy and try that first thing.

And I didn't understand the draining the carb thing. The float bowl should be full of gas, and it has an overflow in case the float sticks. Unless you were able to catch all the gas that came out and carefully measured it then there is no way to tell if the bowl was too full and unless the overflow was blocked then it wouldn't necessarily cause the flooding. Run rich for sure, but not cause flooding.

Rod

TwoFifty

Aug 15, 2008
Ah ok thanks 'rmc_olderthandirt' i guess that would eplain why it was always so full haha :) I have no idea where i read that it was a drainage plug from then... i think im going mad haha.

On the brightside i changed the plug and the bike fired up and run good, i guess i should have taken the fact that i was having to kick it quite a bit to get it to start as a sign it was on its way out lol. But im happy that its working and was such a simple fix. Im going to be picking up a few spare plugs in future incase i run into this again.

Thanks for all the help though guys, really appreciate it. :)

Top Bottom