zonerguy

Apr 5, 2002
I need to find out how to wire the hedlight and taillight into the lighting coil. I bought a 97 kdx220 about 2 months ago and all the lighting electrical was taken off and replaced with mx style plates/fenders. There are two wires coming from the lighting coil yellow&white yellow connects to the lights f/r but I dont know where to connect the white one. The bike came with all the electrical, I think. It also came with aftermarket acerbis lighting which i have not yet figured out either.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is no white in oem wiring (based on '00 wiring. The schiz in the manual doesn't list a white, either. Shouldn't be different for a '97) That is prolly coming from your acerbis. Did on my UFO, anyway. It was ALL white!

Yellow is from the lighting coil (under magneto). Goes to the switch.
Red is FROM the switch to the rest of the system...the front light, taillight and regulator (through another connector).

The white is probably part of the acerbis, either 'to' or 'from'..doesn't matter which.

So, one of the whites (if there are two..just look at the connectors on the headlight shell) would likely be connected to red from the switch, the other would go to ground.

You MUST keep the regulator in the circuit!! So..the RED wire heading off to the rear of the bike from the switch MUST be connected. If you (just) connect the red to the headlight, ground the other side and 'test' it, you'll blow your lamps.

ALWAYS have the red to the regulator plugged in!

If you don't have a manual, do yourself a favor...get one! ;)

Last edited:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Okay, this is off my experience with my KDX250 and friends 83 200:

From the stator you have 4 wires. 2 ignition (dont use) and 2 lighting. You have a yellow wire that goes from the stator to the ignition switch. You have a black/yellow wire that goes to the regulator.

Now on the headlight, you will see the red is split. So you have one yellow (to the switch) and 2 reds. One of the red wires goes to the other side of the headlight switch and the other to the headlight. You will also fine a black wire for the other side of the headlight.

Now for the taillight, you should have a red and yellow/black wire. The regulator just has that red and one yellow/black wire.

One thing to keep in mind is that the KDX runs AC , not DC current. So everything has to be kept in a loop. So like on my UFO Twinns headlight, I wire the red to one headlight, the black to the other headlight and put a jumper wire betwen the 2 lights for the remaining 2 post. This wiring in series made the lights a lot brighter than doing it in parallel.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
zonerguy,

There is a yellow wire coming out of the stator..., this wire goes to the head light switch (an on and off type). The red wire comes from the other side of that switch and goes to the head light and tail light. The base or ground side of the head light and tail light goes to ground, via the black/yellow striped wire.

Also you will need a shunt type of 12 volt regulator, witch will hook up between the red and black/yellow striped wire.

I can e-mail you a copy of the complete wiring diagram if you supply me with an e-mail address, mine is rblack66@attbi.com

shr

Top Bottom