Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
thanks for flyin firecracker for the site recommendation...nice to see more female riders!
just a bit of boring info about myself...I'm 38, I just graduated to a YZ125 from a KX100 in April of this year..
I live in Oregon, near Portland, and my fave type of riding in order would be dunes, tracks, and woods.
I'm thinking of doing something competitively, not sure what yet, not enduro however..
guess that's it for now...
if you're interested, I've got riding pics in the link
cheers!
Holley

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Welcome Holley! Glad to have another female rider join us here. We're all friendly (well most of the time) so join right in. Be sure to post any ride reports or anything else for that matter. We love to hear 'em! Again, welcome:)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Welcome, Holley!

Dayum, girl you get some good air in those pictures!

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
thanks!

for all the welcomes :)
I've spent most of the afternoon uploading pictures and being incredibly non productive at work....:D
I just can't seem to finish my website, so, being the lazy person I tend to be, I just figured I'd put them on Yahoo!
so where are you from bbbom? Oregon?
and LoriKTM, here's my secret to getting air...have the person taking the pictures lie down on the ground LOL!!!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Holley, I'm in SE Washington near Spokane.

Finally figured out where the link was - DANG that is some air, even if the camera person is laying on the ground (as you say Holley, may have to ask the firecracker about that).

The only way I could get someone to lay on the ground to shoot pics of me in the air is if I dig a real big hole for them to hide in. I don't get quite enough air to clear a human body! :scream:

Now Dunes like THAT with a beach and all could influence my riding preference! Hmmmm how far is it from Spokane to the dunes in the pics? It's pretty hot & dry in the woods here! :)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Welcome Holley! Always glad to welcome another female to the ranks. Watch out guys, the force is growing! ;)

I LOVE those Oregon dune pics!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey there, glad you found us! Your pictures look great. I'm jealous. Even if I were to catch air like that, there's never anyone around to immortalize me on film! Only when I'm trailside changing sparkplugs and Steve yells "Hold on, it's a KTM moment!" :think

Hey gals, Oregon dunes trip! Steve and I have been TRYING to plan one for a month now but someone can't plan anything ahead of time if his life depended on it . . . the only trips we've made are the ones I planned 6 months before and said "WE ARE GOING RIDING THIS WEEKEND" or we just said "Hey, let's go camping" the night before. :silly: I don't know what the problem is with trying to plan ahead. I guess being constantly on call for work kind of puts a damper on things like that.

Anyway, maybe sometime in late August/early September? I found a paddle for my bike :D

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Ok, my computer ignorance is showing again. I can't find the link and I'd love to see the pictures. Will someone explain it to me PLEASE .
I hate it when I can't figure something out! :silly:

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
Heya holley! Glad to have you with us :)

Me, I be (WILL BE) graduating from the 100 to a kx125, riding in order motocross, motocross, & finally motocross, some mountain biking and wakeboarding, Trails are dead last for me too.
Hmm something competitive...How bout trying competitive motocrossing, would b fun
:cool:

curlyma

Lifetime Sponsor
Jan 19, 2000
Another "hello and glad to 'meet' you!" Also impressed with the photo's. If I happen to catch a little air, so totally by accident! One of these days I'll get the technique down right...........

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
Welcome! You mentioned doing something competitive, do you think you'll try motocross? That's what I do. Although, the dunes look like tons of fun!!:cool:

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
thanks again everyone:cool: !!
bbbom, the dunes are about 4-5 hours from us here in the Portland area, so I don't know how far Spokane is from here, quite a ways I suspect! But it's worth it. They go for miles and miles, and where we ride, you can go without even seeing other people, it's not very crowded at all. The Florence end is where most people go (the North end) and we usually go to the south end.
I am definately thinking of motocross, but I'm really really slow.. oh well, it would be just for fun. My 12 year old neighbor (on the KX in the photos) totally smokes me, but he's been really helpful in getting me on the track, and he's the one who taught me how to jump! We take him on all our camping trips, and he bought my KX100, and races both it and his 80.
firecracker, we're going back down to the dunes probably in September...we should get as many people together as we can...that would be a blast!
I don't know where everyone's from, I'll have to look at everyone's profiles...
It's nice to finally find a forum where women actually POST things!
I tried the Yahoo clubs, but there's not a thing going on there...
Cheers!
Holley

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Looks like 8 - 9 hours from Spokane to Dunes City. That may be doable in September.

Dune Spodefest Time!

Firecracker, it's a male thing. Karl says it is just his spontaneity! :silly: We pretty well do the same last minute lets go thing. Sure does keep the rest of the world guessing though and life more interesting!

Holley, is the first pic of the 90CR500 you? How do the smaller bikes fair in the sand though? My son is on a KX60 (possibly on the CR80E by then) and the girls are on a PW80 and LEM50. Is there any place for the little ones to ride or should they plan on just enjoying the beach?

(Oops, sounds like I'm making plans!) :eek:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
September sounds good to me but Steve warns that in September the fog can get pretty bad. Is that true, Holley? I have enough problems without not being able to see! Maybe that will help! I am still up in the air about Dirtweek though so getting lots of time off in September might be hard.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
Dunes in September....

well, the big answer to the question of power...you can never have too much power in the sand...!!:D
and yes, I that pic of the 500 is me. I wouldn't dare get on it anywhere else, but in the sand, my boyfriend says...everyone grows a big set of...you know!
The smaller bikes don't do so well, my neighbor that is 12 years old rides my old KX100, but that's about as small of CC as you want to go. The paddle tire puts extra strain on the engine as well. My friend's kids have some old pit bikes, but they only rode around camp. My daughter's quad won't even go, the sand is fairly deep. We bought an old Yamaha Blaster for hauling her out there. Also, the weight ratio makes a diff. The kids might be ok, depending on the weight, but I tend to think it may be a bit much, and it's much harder w/o a paddle.
As for fog, yes, it can be bad, but it USUALLY burns off mid morning, and things are fine. We went in October of last year, it was fine. What is worse than fog, IMO, is overcast...everything is flat, and you can't see any contours. You think you're going over smooth sand, and all of a sudden, it drops out from under you...a nice set of polarized goggles help tremendously.
Oh, that would be so cool if we could all plan a trip....we are definately going sometime late aug. or early sep. Mark (my b/f) has his sabbatical (lucky dog) for 2 months, over Aug and Sep. so we'll be going for sure...
I've never got to ride with any women, only guys, and I've never seen any other females on bikes, they are always on quads...how boring LOL!
:D
I'm really not a bike snob! but it's so much more fun than a quad in the sand, and besides...quads scare me!

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
Hey, were planning on going!

We were planning on doing a coast trip to ride dunes and waves at Florence over the Washougal weekend (July 28&29th) but we have to postpone it for later in August (possibley early September) so some of our freinds can also make it. Hopefully we can all manage to go at the same time. I still have not meet in person or rode with any DRN members.

A group of us hear in Boise is planning on hitting the St. Anthony Sand Dunes in south east Idaho over Labor Day weekend. Its a 4.5 hour drive from here so let me know if any of you are interested in going. For those of you who havnt heard or been there, the dunes are Glamis size dunes but they only spread out over a 15 mile radius and you definatly dont get all the people there like Glamis does.

Anyways Holly, glad to see you in here. How big are the Florence dunes and how often does it rain on them. I loved riding the dunes after the rain storms. I've only been once, but it rained the whole weekend and the sand was sooooo insanely fun to ride, even on my YZ125 w/o a paddle tire. However, I dont think that would be the case in dry sand.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
Hey Sara(h?)!
thanks for the welcome..
The dunes at Florence go for miles, probaby 25-30..so you can't ride them all cuz you'll run out of fuel...
the ones on the lower end at North Bend are even better...hardly anyone there at all.
My YZ125 does ok with the paddle, but I still prefer the 250 for the sand.
At that time of year, it's great, not too hot, and we ride even in the rain. October last year was so awesome..
We are going sometime late Aug, or Sept as well...we really should try and plan around when everyone can go.
We are also supposed to do the Moses Lake dunes, but that doesn't thrill me so much.!

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
We're trying for August 15 - 20

See my post in Places to Ride/ Organized Rides

We could try for September if we can find someone to babysit our child during daytime since we're leaving her home with the gramdma who works 8-5 m-f. That would be a more affordable time but would the water be much colder?

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
September will be better for us

as well....
We'll have to pull our daughter out of school, but that's the way it goes!
I think earlier in Sept would be better, I think the water's always cold anyway, I never go in it!
We're camping August 11-12, so we won't make it down there in August I don't think.
maybe everyone that's interested should post the dates they are available?

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
We would like to make it too. Early September would be better for us, even though we would have to keep kids out of school a day or two.

Is there riding other than just dunes nearby? The little bikes wouldn't work well in the sand but we'd like to make it to the ocean and ride the ski's then hit some trails on the bikes.

Would have to hotel it if we bring the skis but, the gas mileage we'd save from no camp trailer would about equal the hotel. Same boat here Sarah, as far as a babysitter. Maybe we could figure out a way to take turns. Mine are 6 and up but I won't leave them alone (except when we sneak out to ride at home of course! ):scream:

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
we take our 6 year old daughter, and we usually take turns riding, or we take her out on the big quad, since her quad is no good in the sand either.
I'm sure that people would be happy to watch the littles while some go riding. I haven't really been any place down there where I've seen other riding areas..Shelby rides her quad around the campground (even though it's a bore). I'll check with my other half and see if he knows about any other places to ride besides the dunes down there...

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
Our daughter is almost 18 months and we'd just prefer to leave her home, especially since she loves her "gamama". I might be able to find some other freinds who could watch her during the days if we go in september. I would rather go then too b/c we'd be able to get the cabins we want at the KOA campground at Reedsport. They're only $40.00 a day and they are right on the dunes. They're RV sites are $20/day and tent sites are $10/day I think? You'd probably have to reserve something. I have a whole list of hotels/motels if any of you want to check them out. Reedsport Hotels/Motels

So what are the best dates for everyone?

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
the KOA

is a great place to stay...
and the cabins are a good deal. There is only one slight problem however...
the road that goes to the dunes entrance is not good for the paddle tires.
You have to go approx 1/4 mile over pavement, gravel, a RR track, and finally, sand!
It chewed up the 6 paddle on my KX100, the 8-10-12 paddles tires did fare much better. Just a little warning to anyone using a paddle tire.:)
I think Sept. is looking much better for us as well... right now, I think we're open on just about any weekend. Don't want to be there Labor Day weekend though if we can help it. My daughter starts school, and I can't have her missing the first few days...
I will have a better idea after July 31 for us. My daughter has an evaluation by the state for her hearing problem, and depending on what/if they decide she needs hearing aids...I really want her to be in school for the critical first couple of weeks at the beginning.
But we'll try and work around the folks coming from furthest away

Top Bottom