OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Hi everyone. I'll start with an overview: Name is Tom, 51 yrs old, live in S.W. Missouri, ride in a mess of rocks, roots, ledges, trees, mud, hills, valleys, and quadtards called Chadwick Use Area. I've been riding in the woods off and on for about 5 years now, always hunting for skill and a perfect bike. Started with an XR400, thought I wanted a more modern bike, so I sold the Honda and got a WR250F (heavy, no power, hard to start when hot). Always wanted a 2 stroke, so I traded the WR for a YZ250. YZinger pretty much handed me my old, unskilled a** on a platter, sold it.
Now I'm the proud owner of what I hope will be the perfect bike, a 2004 KDX 200 :)
The dealership where I bought it threw in a new O-ring chain, and it came with a fresh load of Engine Ice in the radiators.
I've got more goodies coming for it..
Dunlop 756 front
Bridgestone 404 rear
New tubes of course
Twin Air filter
Moose barkbusters with large, lime green protecters
Fly Racing bar and a pair of Pro Grips
New sprockets to go with the free O-ring chain
And finally a Kawi KDX 200 shop manual to help me keep everything running smooth.
Be running it on a 32:1 mix of 91 pump and Klotz R50.

Get everything on in a couple of weeks, do another photo shoot then it's off to the woods!
I havn't rode a dirt bike in almost a year, can hardly wait :laugh: .

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
great man you'll love this bike!! about the bars though, I and everyone who I let ride my bike love the moose xc bend bars($49) I got they are tall and alot less pullback than stock ..it sorta gives you the attack position natually paired with pro taper pillow top grips (must use gloves!!) and asv handles standing is really alot easier too.
I use the moose xc bars on all my bikes.

I run 40:1 in my kdx
WHy not a 756 rear?? I run a 110/100 756 rear, also alot of people rave about running trials tires in all but mud, Im going to try them out as soon as I can find bargain xtra set of rims.

Again welcome to the kdx family

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
glad2ride said:
Congratulations on your purchase!

You may want to check on spring rates to match your weight.
Yep, rear is almost perfect for my 190#. But the front I read is lacking somewhat, wonder why manufacturers do that. You'd think it would be easy enough to spring them equally on both ends to start with. But I've ran into this on a lot of bikes, street (sport bikes) included.

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
sr5bidder said:
great man you'll love this bike!! about the bars though, I and everyone who I let ride my bike love the moose xc bend bars($49) I got they are tall and alot less pullback than stock ..it sorta gives you the attack position natually paired with pro taper pillow top grips (must use gloves!!) and asv handles standing is really alot easier too.
I use the moose xc bars on all my bikes.

I run 40:1 in my kdx
WHy not a 756 rear?? I run a 110/100 756 rear, also alot of people rave about running trials tires in all but mud, Im going to try them out as soon as I can find bargain xtra set of rims.

Again welcome to the kdx family

I'll look into the Moose bar. Got the Fly bar because it was cheap and if you cut 1/2" off each end you have the same shape as a Pro Taper Woods High Bend. Plus, I'm not a good enough rider to tell the difference. :)
Some folks use rear trials tires here for the rocks and such but it seems to be a "love it or hate it" thing. The 756 front seems to be the tire of choice for most of the locals in the Missouri rocks, but a lot of people use the B-stone 403F/404R combo. So since the 404 was almost $10 less than the 756 at the store I got them from (though the 756F and 403F were the same price), and once again, I can't ride well enough to tell the difference, I kept the ten spot in my pocket.
What can I say? I'm a cheap skate at heart. :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
OLH - Here's an example of the IMG code working in a forum that supports it :

- Click the Insert Image icon above (the one that looks like a pic of a mountain)
- Then paste the direct link to the site that hosts your JPG file.

Vincent_1_sep.jpg

The code looks like the line below (spaces were added in to keep the software from parsing it as another IMG tag)

[IM G]h ttp://w w w.chicagostories.net/Ton_Up_2007/images/Vincent_1_sep.jpg[/ IMG]

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
KDX 200 Pictures..

Try this again.
Bike as I bought it..
KDX20012-28-08012Custom.jpg

Other side..
KDX20012-28-08009Custom.jpg

There we go, success at last!
The Green Machine in all it's glory.
I'll post an update when the mods are complete.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Gorgeous bike, man!
But, you'd better adjust that chain before $$$ things happen. :yikes:

I, too, am an old dirt-biker just coming back to the sport, and really like my KDX200. I think you'll find that your's will be a great toy!

PS You didn't buy that bike in Independence, did you???

Mud

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
mudpack said:
Gorgeous bike, man!
But, you'd better adjust that chain before $$$ things happen. :yikes:

I, too, am an old dirt-biker just coming back to the sport, and really like my KDX200. I think you'll find that your's will be a great toy!

PS You didn't buy that bike in Independence, did you???

Mud
Thank Ye! :)
No I bought it at Neosho Powersports in Neosho, MO. According to the title I got with it, it belonged to a couple somewhere around Joplin. Field toy/cow herder bike.
It's not going anywhere on that chain other than being pushed around the yard from storage to work on it area. All that stuff is on the "replace before riding" list.
If you ever get over this way with your bike give me a shout, we'll go beat our brains out at Chadwick for a day.

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I ride at Chadwick when I can and I used to ride a KDX which worked great there. Let me know if you need someone to ride with since I'm not too fast either and figure riding alone isn't the best idea even though i've done it alot. :yikes:

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
xpwarrior said:
I ride at Chadwick when I can and I used to ride a KDX which worked great there. Let me know if you need someone to ride with since I'm not too fast either and figure riding alone isn't the best idea even though i've done it alot. :yikes:

Yes, so far I do need someone to ride with, after the ice melts that is. :laugh:
The guy I usually ride with is out with a lingering foot injury and may not be able to ride until sometime in the spring.
I've rode the KDX twice at Chadwick now and after the year off am starting to get my wheels under me again.
I'll try to get ahold of you here in a week or so when the conditions settle down a little. :cool:

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
sr5bidder said:
olhillbilly what size tire is that in the pics? it looks really short

That is the wore out, OEM 100/100-18 D739.
It's got a 100/100-18 Bridgestone 404 on the rear now along with a new D756 front..
KDX2001-12-09002Medium.jpg

KDX2001-12-09010-1.jpg

Looks a little more balanced now, huh.:cool:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom