Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
ive developed this love for watching helmet cam footage. i was just wondering if any of you riders had some helmet cam footage youd like to share.

im also looking for a helmet cam myself, as itll be a fun thing to have as far as seeing what i rode, and correcting myself on stuff i do wrong. (as much as i can see anyway.) so please, if it isnt a problem, include what type of camera you are using and any other additional details.

thanks.

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
Helment cam shots from Ben Milot and Travis Pastrana..

cause that is as close to ever making the 360 flip that I really ever want to get... :yikes:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
that'd be AWESOME. :yikes:

thanks a lot oldguy.

I haven't met Chili as of yet, but it's gotta happen sooner or later, heh. :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have this and this. I do have more, but it isn't on the net.

I bought the helmet cam here; and I attach it to a discontinued Canon digital 8 (analog inputs are a necessity) that I got a good deal on. Everything but the helmet cam itself is carried in a modified (holes strategically placed for wires) fanny pack.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I got a Mustek DV4000 (They don't make it anymore). They have similar models here: https://www.mustekdirect.com/buymustekdirect/catalog/index.php?cPath=17

I velcro it to the side of my helmet and it is completely self contained...no fanny pack, nothing but the cigarette-pack-sized camera velcroed to the helmet.

The newer ones have better quality, but here are a couple short ones from mine:

(Right-click and save-as before watching)

418K http://themxtrack.com/MustekSample.wmv

269K http://themxtrack.com/MustekSample2.wmv

887K http://themxtrack.com/MustekSample3.wmv

391K http://themxtrack.com/NotLearning.wmv

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I wtb a helmet cam. They look awesome.

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
HIGH LORD, that was cool. can almost say...I was riddin. helmet cam is very good...
( maybe I should get one...)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The nice thing about the Mustek is that it is self contained, and, at $100 or so for the camera and $50 for a 1GB memory card, it is something you can ride with without the fear of damaging an expensive unit or landing on something hard in a fanny pack.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
The nice thing about the Mustek is that it is self contained, and, at $100 or so for the camera and $50 for a 1GB memory card, it is something you can ride with without the fear of damaging an expensive unit or landing on something hard in a fanny pack.
While I will not dispute the benefits, what is the resolution (pixel width and height) of the finished product? Also, in what format is the video saved, and what is the runtime with that 1gig card (I do also understand that you can get a bigger card).

The reason that I bring these up is that resolution and format play a role in what you can do with the video after the ride. NTSC DVD is 720x480, anything smaller will look bad if that is the desired use. If the recorder compresses the video of MPEG, then you will not have a clean original for recompression. AVI files are better in that capacity. If you are just going to post it to youtube then it doesn't really matter and the compact unit is ideal.

On a side note, Gomer, you once asked me about Darrell Bell owning a track near me. I don't think that he does, but he races locally over here in the 40+ class.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Okie had one he stuck on Billywho. It would have been some really cool footage except it ended up someplace in the dirt at Casey LTM. In otherwords Billy broke it, yes it was a great suprise to everyone.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
FruDaddy said:
While I will not dispute the benefits, what is the resolution (pixel width and height) of the finished product?
My old one will do video at 640x480, but that is only at 10 frames per second...too jerky for MX video. To get 30 fps I have to dro down to 320x240. Newer models (you can't even buy my old one, anymore) offer video at 640x480 while still at 30 fps.

Also, in what format is the video saved, and what is the runtime with that 1gig card (I do also understand that you can get a bigger card).
Mine saves the video in .ASF format and it works out to about 1 MB per minute, so about an hour and a half or so. The newer ones do MPEG4 format and probably chew up the memory faster since it is 640x480 (4 times the resolution) at 30 fps. My old one would not address a card larger than 1 GB but the new ones do.

The reason that I bring these up is that resolution and format play a role in what you can do with the video after the ride. NTSC DVD is 720x480, anything smaller will look bad if that is the desired use. If the recorder compresses the video of MPEG, then you will not have a clean original for recompression. AVI files are better in that capacity. If you are just going to post it to youtube then it doesn't really matter and the compact unit is ideal.
As bad as mine look already, YouTube makes them even worse. This clip really shows how mine doesn't handle the transition from light to dark and back again, but YouTube made it even worse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNXCA7K3yX4

On a side note, Gomer, you once asked me about Darrell Bell owning a track near me. I don't think that he does, but he races locally over here in the 40+ class.
He apparentlyused to own/run MX-58, but not anymore. Darryl's a good guy.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
FruDaddy said:

Uh, from that first video it looks like the race didn't end too well for you! It's not good when the camera gets a close up of a hay bale and then lies on its side for a while taking video of peoples feet........

I hope you were okay!

Rod

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Uh, from that first video it looks like the race didn't end too well for you! It's not good when the camera gets a close up of a hay bale and then lies on its side for a while taking video of peoples feet........

I hope you were okay!

Rod
That was my son, and he was fine, he even got back on the bike to take the checkers. It was only 40 feet away, but that mud was slick.

The feet that came into view belong to the photographer that was there that day. He got a pretty good shot of the crash:
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=03VE00PC030116&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:

I was woundering about the damaging part. my 9 year old reveiwed it with me. the ' haven't leaned ' section when ya lay it down I was suprised that it was still attached since you said it was velcroed on... by the way I asked him if that looked falmilure ( the way the event of the crash went..) he laugh and said ' yep, exzacly how you see it, sky,bike,trac. then you get up.. ;)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
No, if/when you open the screen it starts wearing the battery down pretty quickly.

I have "dismounted" a few times and have been lucky to land on the right side, or at least not damage the camera.

Mine gets too much wind noise, even with a piece of duct tape over the holes for the sound pickup.

I would NOT get that $50 DV5SE...it doesn't look much better than my DV4000. It is only 10 fps at 640x480. Check this list to see what fps each offers:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=63602&forum_id=92

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
not that much, I was rather suprise to hear the bike as well as some of the others that were close. it was just muffled..
oh and now its called dismounted now? nice, got to use that one.. ;) like it...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Patman said:
Okie had one he stuck on Billywho. It would have been some really cool footage except it ended up someplace in the dirt at Casey LTM. In otherwords Billy broke it, yes it was a great suprise to everyone.
Yes, it made good video ... but it was a $1,200 Sony MiniDV cam and a $400 helmet camera. Way too much $ invested to put out on the track.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Okiewan said:
Yes, it made good video ... but it was a $1,200 Sony MiniDV cam and a $400 helmet camera. Way too much $ invested to put out on the track.

and BillyWho. :think:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999

hey now!
I wore it and did NOT break it..
it worked just fine!

thats a billywho thing.
anvils, bowling balls, i mean you really shoulda known bettah' LOL

i remember during Billys moto watching the look on Bobs face ,
as we could see that camera dangling by its cord ,bouncing around off of billys helmet like it was a mad wasp trying to sting him..

you just knew little was going to be left by the end of the moto..
if it dint simply fall off somewhere and get roosted..

sorry i know its also sad,,

but your look of terror really was

*priceless*

LOL!

Top Bottom