KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Does anybody have a link to any helmet comparison articles? Or can give me any good helmet info.?
My son and I both need new helmets. He's already had 2 concussions with the one he has and mine is trash.

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
hey i don't know how the hell your son got 2 concutions with his helmet and how yours is trashed
all i can tell ya that if a good 200 dollar helmet that fits well should not give you any concitions
that is if you don't fall every second once you've fallen once you should bring the helmet to the
companie that makes them and make them cheack the helmet over they usually cheack it over for free.
One good fall is all it takes to ruin a helmet even if there is no visual damage.
:(

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I've never seen or heard of an article that compares helmets on a saftey basis. That's what the Snell and DOT ratings are for. If you buy a helmet with both Snell and DOT's newest rating approvals, you're doing all you can to protect your head's.

Fit and comfort are other things but they are somewhat subjective. I own Bieffe, Shoei and Arai top of the line helmets. For me, the Shoei is the most comfortable. Shoei and Arai are both far more comfortable than the Bieffe. The only reason I currently own and wear 2 Arai VX-Pro's is that Shoei no longer makes an XXL size in the VFX line.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Obviously the Shoei VFX-R and Arai helmets are top of the line. So if you've got the cash check into those.

I have HJC ACX-1 and it is a great helmet. It's very light, fits very good, has good ventilation, and the paint is nice too. Retail is about $225 but I just saw them on sale for $139.99 at http://www.midwestmoto.com/Merchant...TGY&Store_Code=mwm02&Category_Code=helmets-cl .

You may want to go to a dealer where you try them on first.

Matthew

Mar 24, 2001
I have a Shoei fx-4 and I did wear a Bell moto-6. Both are very good helmets. For the best protection I would go with the Arai or Shoei VFX but at the cost it is hard to swing especially considering helmets are really only good for 1 hard hit. I mean one that gave someone a concussion. If someone gets hit hard enough and you get a concussion, black out or get very dizzy that helmet is trash. The foam in MX helmets do not return to their original shape after a hard hit.

Most helmets that retail around $200.00 are good helmets. They probably do not fit as well or look as pretty as the ultra high end ones though. Look at the Thor, Oneil, Bieffe, MSR that fall in that price range. It is your head and needs to be protected properly.

Matt

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
Dirt Rider mag. did a write-up on about 8 or 9 helmets. It compared comfort, weight, price and few other things. I can't remember what issue it was. Sorry. But I think It was an early 2000 issue. I'll try to find the issue and let you know.

There are a lot of good helmets out there. The single most important thing is fit.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Since we're on the subject of helmets can someone answer me this, I've been searching all the local shops but I haven't found anyone with a fox pilot helmet. I think I tried on a small adult size but it felt just alittle to big (at least it said it was an adult small, that was months ago so my memory is off alittle) But then I tried on a fox flite adult small and it was tight the right size. No local shops are gonna have any around for months so i'm looking at mail order cause I must replace my 97 oneal 707 helmet which is an XS. What I like to know before I shell out the cash is does anyone know for certain if the flite & pilots are the same sizes? you would think they are cause they are fox.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I bought my son a Shoei. His head is not worth shopping for.
Arai and Shoei are the best, it's your head!!
Listen to the previous guy, a good crash and the helmet should be retired.
I've retired about 3 due to crashes and about 5 due to just wanting a new "look"

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I have been running a bell moto 7, alot of my riding buddys have the same. Very light and a top of the line helmet. I think that they were on close out for some sizes at helmetoutlet.com, for $149! Thats less than half price for a carbon fibre mix helmet. After I measured my head and ordered the size they recomended last year I thoght it fit too tight but I think in the past I was buying my helmets too loose.

Top Bottom