Help a 5'3 rider out would ya.....thanks

sneeky

Jun 30, 2004
Alright guys/ladies, I'm 25, 140 lbs and yep 5'3. I've been on a ttr-125l for a few weeks and I cant take it anymore. My riding experience is limited to riding a 450 Honda Rebel(street cruiser) for a few months, and a few rides on a old 4 stroke suzuki 200 and my friends YZF250. TTR is not enough, my buddies YZF was fun but WAY to tall and expensive. I was looking at bikes like the xr250r, kdx200/220, crf230f, and maybe even a kx100(dont know if I'm too big/heavy for this one?). I like the mx look of the crf230 and KX100 and don't really like or need the lights/fenders on the others, I know I can change it but thats more $$ and I'm kinda on a budget. Seat height is a major issue because I usually ride really rooted, muddy trails/hills and I often need to put a foot, or at least a few toes down. I also want something I can go fast with and jump at a homemade track near my house. The crf230 and the KX100 are the only 2 that have a seat height of 34"(which will be perfect once I shave the seat). I really prefer not to alter anything as far as suspension goes. Any thoughts? Finding a good all around bike for my height is a struggle. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sneeky, check out the women's forum. There's a post stuck to the top of it where Firecracker22 has done research & writes up about different bikes for gals.
Hope that helps - also have a look around in there - do a search for kx100

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey Sneeky-- well, I feel your pain! I'm 5'3" also.

If you're on a limited budget and don't want to mess with getting suspension done, then I think you're on track with the CRF230 or KX100. However, they are both suited for different tasks. The CRF230 will get you through the rocky, rooty hills better (but weighs more). The KX100 will be more fun on the MX track. You might be at the outer range of the KX100 as far as the stock suspension goes, but it will probably work pretty well in most cases.
Think about which terrain (trails vs. MX track) you will be riding most often, and then make your decision according to that.

And in a year or two if you decide you want to go with a full size bike, your options are wide open. Lowering suspension a couple inches will bring those big bikes down to size. (Just ask me how I know!!) ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you don't like your TTR anymore, the CRF 230 won't be much better. It's a little bit faster but a lot heavier and doesn't have very good suspension. The KX would be fine, and at 5'3" I don't think you'd be too big. Try sitting on one somewhere to see how it feels. They can always be ported and bored too if you want more power someday.

OR, you could spend the time and money to lower a full size bike. If done right, you can end up with a really sweet ride. You won't get it to where you can flat-foot, but as long as you can touch with one foot, you'll be fine. You learn to deal with it though it's awkward at first.

sneeky

Jun 30, 2004
Hmm...maybe I'll pass on the 230 then.....but yeah, I'm worried about the KX100 being a smaller framed/wheeled bike and that I'll want a full size soon. I guess It would be best if I just rode my ttr till I save up for a KX250F or something and have it lowered. I like to push my limits alot and want something that will keep me content for a while. Thanks for the quick responses.
Sneeky

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'3" if you don't plan to grow anymore :) I would not discount the KX100 or the KTM SX 105. They are both awesome bikes that should keep you in the power for years to come. My personal opinion is that the jump from a TT-R125 to a KX250F is a HUGE leap. A Supermini class bike might make a great 2 or 3 year transition bike.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
5’2 here, and I had a KX100 quite a few years ago. It was a great track bike with plenty of power. If I remember correctly, all I did to it was upgrade the exhaust system and put in some reeds. The suspension was great too!

sneeky

Jun 30, 2004
You guys don't think at 140lbs I'll be too heavy for it?, and yeah I don't plan on growing anymore...I wish... :ugg: With a flywheel weight and a torque pipe would a kx100 pull me up a steep, muddy, tree rooted trail? I'm sure it would be great on a track. Would you guys recommend heavy duty springs for jumps at my weight? Thanks alot for the responses everyone.
Sneeky

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
140 lbs shouldn't be a problem for that bike either power or suspension wise, especially for woods riding (generally softer than mx setup) I see many kids around here running stock springs in their 85's at 125+ pounds.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
My husband used to ride mine hard on the track....really launch that baby, and he was probably 170-180 at the time and barely came close to bottoming it out. As far as me riding it in the desert, you do have to be aggressive through loose rock uphills and the like. As long as you keep the momentum there isn't anything that bike couldn't make.

sneeky

Jun 30, 2004
Hey, thanks to all of you that have been posting. I've posted questions on other forums and NEVER had such quick and helpful responses. You guys/ladies are awsome. Well, the kx100 sounds like it may be the one. With a couple mods to make it more trail friendly it sounds like it would be my best bet as a beginner. One more question. Well no promises on this being my last question, but since the ttr 125 is the only other bike I can really compare anything with, how would you guys compare the bottom end (or should I say slow speed or low RPM?) power/torque of the kx100 with the ttr-125? I know its apples and oranges but I've never really ridden a 2 stroke before. From what everyone tells me and things I've read I think I'd enjoy a 2 stroke more. Thanks alot, too bad you guys don't live in Hawaii, I'd love to ride with you guys/gals.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The TT-R bottom end is like a tractor, you could get away with climbing most hills with little or no momentum. The KX will need your skills to advance some and make sure you approach the hill with a little momentum and keep it in the power. Other than 1st gear stump pulling there will be no comparison the KX will smoke compared to the TT-R.

sneeky

Jun 30, 2004
cool, thanks chili. I guess all I have to do now is save a little more $$ and buy one and hope my dealer has it in stock! :yeehaw:

Top Bottom