help, bike only goes in reverse after rebuild

hyper_irl

Jan 1, 2005
i just rebuilt the engine in my 87' kdx200 and now the bike will only reverse in all the gears! the bike was running forward right after it was put back together, but after a few minutes a really loud noise came into it. when i opened up the side caseing it was the kickstand not disengaging, so i fixed that. now the bike sounds great but it goes in reverse. anyone come across anything like this berore or have any ideas on what could wrong?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
timing issue.

hyper_irl

Jan 1, 2005
i just took the flywheel off and found the key in the crankshaft that holds it in position was broken. so looks like that should sort it out. thanks for all the help.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A BTW that isn't directly related...

Anytime you put the flywheel on, insert something (piece of wire, little screwdriver) into the crank slot to make sure the key didn't slip out the backside when you put the flywheel on.

You can easily feel that it's there. If it IS there...that's good enough. It can't be 1/2 way out as long as the flywheel is seated as it is supposed to be.

AND make sure the flywheel nut is properly torqued. If the flywheel gets just a tad loose, it will sheer the key.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom