MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Anyone ever had the pleasure of getting out the bolt on the rear linkage....the one behind the frame with no way to drive it out.....ive tried beating smashing hammering heating prying wedging....this is driving me mad...the bolt spins freely from the bearing and the linkage is free also...but the bolt wont budge.....and you could take the whole bike apart and it still wouldnt gain me an inch......next is to drill a hole in the frame so i can straight punch it . but thats not what i want to do....anyone ....help...

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
At a guess, it sounds like the bolt is rusted to the inside of the bearing sleeve. Having had that experience, I always coat the bolts with anti-seize when reassembing. You didn't say what year, but if it were my bike, here's what I'd try:

1. Take off the shock & swingarm so that all you have left is the linkage rocker arm attached to the frame bracket by the frozen bolt. This would give you more room to pry, etc.

2. The next thing I'd do is get some good penetrating oil, like Kroil. Lay the bike down so that the threaded side of the bolt points up and liberally apply the penetrating oil. Leave it to soak for a few hours or overnight.

Then give it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet to loosen things up and see if you can pry it out. With the swingarm off, you should be better able to get in there and try things out.

Good luck.

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Been there done that. I took the nut off and put it back on partially. I took a shaft like an 3/8" extension and pounded the thing out. It was rusted in the bearing sleeve and the bearings were shot. I ruined the nut and had to replace it. Yea, I remember getting that one off.

Hope this helps

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
thanks for the replies....tried the oil ( didnt lay the bike over....good thought) but yea i removed the shock swingarm..rear brake assembly etc...still stuck and its 125 bucks for the linkage....thinking of weilding some sort of hydraulic press to push against the frame to the bolt.....nice design Kawa :p

Top Bottom