MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
The bolt that acts as the swingarm pivot in a '91 KDX200 is stuck. The nut is off, the threads are clean, but I can only get about a 1/4" of movement when I try to remove the pivot bolt. I need to get the engine out and can't. We've used a BIG hammer. The bolt rotaes freely and we've hammered while rotating. It really hits something solid. I'm debating between grinding/removing the bolt head and forcing the bolt the wrong way, or taking a sawzall between the frame and swingarm. Anyone have another idea?

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Maybe there is a groove worn into the bolt or the bolt is worn to the point there is a lip on it.

I would the getting the swingarm moving while hitting the bolt.

If it spins freely, I don't think heat will help.

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
Try rotating the bolt to several different places hitting at each Position.
I Wouldn’t ues the sawsall you will damage your swingarm.
Good Luck!
Sparkey

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I had a really old cr125 with the same problem. I even tried a pneumatic hammer and propane torch but the thing would not budge. Finally I used the sawzall method and within minutes I had the engine out with no damage to the engine or the swingarm. Good luck.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Are all the engine mounting bolts loose? These and the swingarm bolt work to hold the motor in and if all the others are still tight, they can hold the swingarm bolt in a bind. You don't need to remove them, just loosen them.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Unbolt the dogbones on the linkage and have one person support the swingarm and the other try and work the bolt out with a pair of vice grips on the head of the bolt. I am thinking there are some deep grooves in there, or maybe one of the swingarm bearing dust covers may be jamming it up??? Good luck.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
If you haven't already, try a search. You aren't the first one with this problem and I recall some guys havin less drastic solutions. Good luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
EG has used the 'sawzall' idea. Well....at least a hacksaw blade 'tween the swingarm and the frame. There should be enough room with the tension off (nut loose/off).

Obviously that wastes the pivot...but your's is toast anyway, so what matter it?

Have your bearings/sleeves/seals all lined up? You'll need all of 'em.

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i had the same problem your bolt is turning freely because it it most likely seised on the bushing i used a big pnematic hammer non stop for about 15 minutes and it mooved half an inch and i continued at that rate for about and hour till i got it out

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I liked the possibility that a bushing is stuck on the pivot bolt, so it is currently soaking in liquid wrench. All of the engine bolts had been removed. I had already tried alternately turning the bolt and banging with a hammer. The dogbones had been loosened, but didn't seem to make any difference. The swingarm seems pretty solid and the bearings may be OK, but I need to get the engine off. I have just the frame, swingarm, and engine right now. After the liquid wrench treatment, I'll go at it with a big hammer again. If that doesn't work it will either be a dremel tool on the bolt head (so that I can go the other direction) or sawz-all where ever I might access the bolt through a gap in the swingarm-frame-engine. Thanks for all your help. I'll update when it is resolved.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Thanks for all your help. Even after lots of 'Liquid Wrench' I ended up cutting the pivot bolt with a hacksaw. After it was cut, the engine and swingarm fell out of the frame. When I removed the pivot bolt, it was solidly frozen to the left swingarm inner bearing race. I am sure that is why the pivot bolt would not come out the normal way. Yes, both bearings were shot. No damage to the swingarm, frame, or engine, but I need a new pivot bolt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom