Help I can't decide 200 or 450

zeboe

Mar 31, 2002
I'm thinking of getting a new ride and wanted some opinions on the 03 200 E/XE verses the 450.
A little background:

1st I’m SLOW, but I am getting better.

2nd I currently ride a well-used 97 250exc hand-me-down.

3rd This was my first summer in 20 years on an off road bike. Yes you might be thinking, “The dude is going though a midlife thing”. Himmm, maybe but it started when I was 24. The last 16 years I’ve raced road coarse & short track cars. What’s my point you may ask? I’m very completive.

4th Having rediscovered my first motorized love, cycles, I soon realized I could still ride well enough to have some serious fun. I also realize I no longer bounce well. The 25 extra lbs I’m carrying contributes to that big thud sound when I crash!

5th I have always had a passion for endurance events. So far this summer I entered and finished 3 enduros and 2 H/S. I was even lucky and clueless enough to have finished 3rd in my first ever enduro.

To recap: I’m 40+, slightly (25lbs) over weight. I get tired quickly but I have lots of stamina. I’m completive to the point where I am motivated to improve my skills and be completive in my class. I ride an older well-used 250 and I’m also a realist so I know I will probably never be an A rider. Maybe one day with work I might tiptoe into the B ranks.

Ok, enough background I need to choose my weapon!

I had my heart set on the 03 200 but the more I read in the mags and forums the more I seem to want the 450.

I know the 200 and 450 both have strengths and weaknesses. Although I have never ridden the 200, from what I can glean from the forums I think the quick handling and lightweight would be the way to go. On the down side (maybe) I’m not sure if the "125 on steroids" would be well suited for my love of the 250's low end torque.

In my last enduro I found myself really lugging the old 250 in some nasty root covered hills. The 200 strikes me as a thoroughbred race bike that is somewhat less forgiving if handled by a novice. The 450 on the other hand, a thoroughbred among its peers, seems to be more forgiving and versatile. And yes the little red button keeps calling me! My perceived downside to the 450 is the weight or bulk. I really want something more nimble and crisper turning than my old 250.

Again I’m working to improve my skills so being the easiest to ride is not my only factor. I want a machine that will reward me as I get better and be fun to play with in the off months.

I can’t decide I want them both!!!

Thanks
Z

:yeehaw: Ooo the power of the banana

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Get the 450. You will miss the low-end if you opt for the 200. Your left toe has to be Johnny on the spot when riding the 200 (I have a 01 200exc) and when I get even a little lazy in the shifting department I find myself off the powerband alot. If you like to rev, clutch, and shift alot then you will enjoy the 200. I havent ridden a 450 yet but have been on the 400 and it was a very nice ride. The 400 carried it's weight very well and felt about the same weight as the WR250F I had at the time. I don't think the weight will be an issue as the smooth and wide powerband will offset the frantic shifting and clutching you would otherwise be doing with the 200.

Good luck

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
You are talking about two completely different machinesand it all depends on how you want to ride. The 200 will feel lighter and quicker handling than your 250 and will need mor input from you to keep the engine in the powerband. Frankly 200s are a blast and really get you in to the ride. THe 450 will be more of a point and shoot kind of ride. You can be a little lazier and you will feel the increased weight but the bike will pull you through anything you are competant enough to attempt. Both are good choices.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
No comparison between the 200 and 450. You're in the same boat I was, age, riding, overweight, everything. I looked at the 200 once, rode it, and didn't look back at it again. I didn't like it. I also rode the 300 and thought the low end was too abrupt for my taste. The 450's really nice.

Why did you throw out a new 250 as an option? The 450's are selling like hotcakes, and get premium dollar. The 250 is an EXCELLENT ride. That's what I ended up getting, and I like it more each time I ride it. The local dealer here will deal on 250's right now because everyone wants a 450 or 525.

Chouca

Feb 26, 2001
I switched from a 250EXC -97 to a 200EXC -00. You MUST try the 200EXC.
I am so pleased about the light weight, easy handling and (believe it or not)
the low-end that actually beats my old 250!!!!
Absolutely no lack of power or high rpm to get it where you want to go!

Why have a heavier bike than necessary - it´s tough enough anyway...

. :worship:

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
I agree with MWeisson on this one, try the 250EXC, I too had taken about fifteen years off of dirtbiking, in about two months I knew I had a great mount. The extra weight (comparable to the 200) is not noticable when you consider the extra umpph the engine gives you, in the nasty as well as the straight single wide trails. I really is a great bike. :worship:

KTMSMITH

Jan 9, 2002
In the last 2 years I have owned a 200. 300 and 400 exc. All 3 have their strong and weak points. I now ride a 03 200 exc. I race harescrambles and enduros, and in a competitive event, I greatly prefer the 200. The 400 was a fantastic bike but the fact is its 35 pounds heavier. Despite its broad power band and other strengths I could not over come the weight issue. If conditions were tight or super muddy, I felt I was at a slight disadvantage. That slight disadvantage added up after a 2 hour scramble or a 5 hour enduro. I am 185 lbs and in average shape. I do not agree that the 400 is less tiring to race or ride. Also, the 200 has a surprsing amount of low end torque. Just my personal thoughts and experiences here, both are great bikes.

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
I have the same problem, it's time for a new bike and I don't know if I should get a 200 or 450. I have a 520SX and just sold my 300EXC. I wish I would have sold the 520 and kept the 300 for the woods. I was much faster on the 300 than I am on the 520. On the MX track I am much faster on the 520. I have had a chance to ride and race many bikes in the woods (200EXC, CR250 set up for woods, WR250F, 300EXC, 400EXC, 520SX, RM 250, YZ400F) So far I rank the bike as follows- 1st 200EXC 2nd 400 and 300 tie 3rd WR 250F 4th 520SX/YZ 400F and the CR250/RM250 tie for last. The 200 is also I lot cheaper than the 450.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Ditto what MWEISSEN said, mostly. I just had the chance to pound out some laps on the Dirtweek Harescramble course on a 200 (Gospeedracer's) back-to-back with my '98 250. There really was a difference in the handling/chassis. It was lighter, more nimble, quicker to turn, but just as stable at speed (maybe more so, thanks to the damper).

And the motor didn't feel weak at all, but it sure was a different kind of power. Maybe my '98 is sleepy compared to other 250's, but I definitely prefered it's power to the 200. It just felt more broad & smooth. The 200 actually felt like it had a bigger, more instant hit in a quicker revving package.

And her gear ratios felt way different than mine. I thought hers was an MX/C like mine, but maybe it's an EX/C? First felt way low (like a granny gear), 2nd felt perfectly spread out, & third was the highest I ever needed. Whereas 1st in my tranny could be lower for tight stuff, and 2nd & third could be a bit taller.

In the end, I was glad to get back on my bike. I'm sure that after a few hours in the saddle I'd be faster on the 200, but to me "my bike" always feels like the "best bike". It never really matters what "my bike" is. So in that regard I'd say give the 250 a chance. I know it'd be my first pick of any new kTm.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
The word 'Endurance' is the key in my opinion.
The 200 is a flighty, full on, power banded handfull in the wrong circumstances. Its the bike of choice for all our local, fit enduro superstars most of whom have come from motorcross.
At the end of a long day you'll be glad of the smooth linear power of the 450. The 200 needs a flywheel weight to make it more manageable in my opion. I've had one and didn't get on with it at all. I went straight back to a 4-stroke.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
as a new member i am having a ball reading all your great posts. as a senior rider i think i can add something. i had gotten off a husky onto a new maico in 1986. two very different handling bikes with diff. powerbands. i just could not get comfortable and called the dist. in ca. the guy was very nice (TED LAPADAKIS) and told me something i have never forgotten when i purchase a new scoot. YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE USED TOO. sell or park the old bike and take time to dial in the new bike. do not ride the old bike again. pretty soon you will be driving your buddys crazy telling them how you have the BEST scoot in the universe. i dont mean to sound harsh but the 200 may be just too busy for long enduros. the other size bikes mentioned are all great and its hard to go wrong with any ktm.

Feb 7, 2001
Nearly two years ago I was in much the same boat. Just getting back into competitive riding after a very long absence. Couldn't make up my mind and ended up with one of each. What I have found is for me I prefer to race the 400. The 200 is a fantastic practice bike because it makes you ride well using good technique. Clutch and throttle control and gear selection are much more crucial on the 200. Further, it is light enough that it allows you to take more chances pushing the envelope in developing new skills.
Then when you ride the 400 with better technique it just flat hauls and the much broader and more forgiving powerband is less tiring. The suspenion and frame seem to be less hyper responsive too.
So, get one of each! :thumb:

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I think Steve makes a some good points about the 200 but I am going to take it one step further. If you really want to learn how to be a great woods rider buy a 200. A 200 is fairly forgiving but to be fast you have to ride it right. A 200 requires a heavy but precise throttle hand to be fast. You really need to keep it in the powerband. But once you master a 200 in the woods you will fly like you never believed possible. A 200 takes some work but you will be a better rider and understand throttle control much better. You can be faster on a bigger bike if you already are an accomplished rider and a four stroke is much more forgiving but this also encourages a less skilled rider to be lazier. Noone gets better being lazy. I sold my 200 years ago and then didn't ride for a while. I ride a four stroke now but wish I also had a 200 again to polish my skills.

KTMDan

Mar 23, 2001
I owned a 98 380 MXC and bought an 00 200 EXC. I loved that 200! I put a FMF Gnarly pipe and that made way more bottom end. I also geared it way down, 12 front, 48 rear. Worked awesome! With the 6 speed box, I was still able to run plenty fast in 6th gear. It is so lit and nimble I just loved riding it. It made me way faster and way better. Yes it does require more shifting, but not a whole lot more. When I ride I try to be smooth. I try to maintain speed through corners and just slowly roll on the throttle coming out, I don't roost or anything like that. As I am entering the corner, I usually down shift and mid way through start accelerating out. I found that most guys on 250's or 4 strokes are sliding into corners with rear break locked up and nailing the throttle to get back up to speed when coming out. These guys did not like the 200 because the power was not there and the hit was not there either. The smoother riders loved the 200 even after coming off of a 250. The group I ride with were all impressed by the power of my 200. I truly loved it. I would by a 03' 200 if I were you!

Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
A couple mor quick thoughts:
I also say give the 250 a good look. Just got back from a long ride in the rain with my brother. He is a hard core four stroke guy. Other than the extra vibration you have to add alot of weight to get similar low end in a four stroke. His WR250F was not available and he was loving the SX125 he borrowed from his 14 year old. The light weight and handling really got him. He is smaller ( 5' 9") and is considering going to the 200. At my size or your size I am not sure the weight is such a factor. My 2000 250 exc with gnarly pipe and TC2 is amazing in the woods.

Good luck. Hard to go wrong with either.
Ralph(Eyedoc)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
ZIO - Aimee's 200 is an MXC. It has a heavier flywheel, its been geared down (I'm at work and don't remember the exact gearing) and its been ported. Her bike was owned by Hal Halgath and set up by his son Eric (KTM factory sponsored). With the way its jetted you really almost can't believe it has a heavier flywheel, it'll get away from you if you're not paying attention for sure. The hit can be mellowed by needle/jetting changes. Get it in some really tight stuff and you definitely know the flywheel is there helping with bottom end. That thing is so light you can really force it to do things it doesn't necessarily want to.

I too have been wondering which bike to get, I have come to the conclusion that for HS only I would take the 200. Problem is I want enough power for monster hills and things like that too. I need both also :)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Let me know what gearing she's running when you get a chance. I'm currently running stock gearing (14/50), and just bought a new 14/51 combo, hoping this will help things out.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Zio,
I rode that bike when it had 15/41 gearing! I never got out of 2nd gear. This sounds about right for you superstar :aj: !

I run 14/46 on my 200exc if anyone cares.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Aimee's 200 currently has 14/48 gearing.

AngryJim - Are you going to the Reno ride? I would like to ride your 200 back to back with Aimee's just to see what feels different, maybe ZIO would too.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Sorry girls. I know both of you are anxious to get me alone in the woods :o but it ain't gonna happen. :( At leat not any time soon, anyway. If I do make it, it'll be a last minute redeye after zia files for divorce, you know?

Top Bottom