Help Jeremy- 01 rm 250 bottoming

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
I have an 01 RM 250 . I weigh 170 and race motocross only. I bottom the rear shock too often on doubles when overjumping and/or landing flat.
Stock springs stock valving.I like to charge hard and not worry about bottoming. Fresh oil ...read up on clickers...tried at track ...seem to have little effect.
I like to do work myself. What do you guys think about the "Do it your self kits"? ( Moto-Pro,C Cycle adjusters,GP racing,....yeah Race Tech too
I have read this forum for two months ...I know Jeremy can fix it but I have a yearn to learn. I am willing to pay for know how...I understand the concept from this forum that proprietary information should not be free. (I would get a MX-Tech kit if such were available)
Jeremy I look for your comments on these kits as well.
From just outside New Orleans ...Thanks

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
brentl
c-cycle and gp kits thats news to me. if your looking to learn rt or moto pro would be good choices .they give good instructions. that's were i got my start . these kits are low velocity large port type pistons and if you follow the valving charts you will get decent results.

shaggy

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I think it's about time I had me a up-close look at the Moto Pro kits. Did you use these Shaggy? If so how did it compare to RT in end results.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
I would think that the Moto Pro kits should have similar results to RT since they are an "off shoot" of Gold Valves. The guy used to be a RT dealer, but then went off and made his own. Even his packaging is the same.

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
shocknut
well motopro fell short of rt, they are just too much flow even more that rt . both lacked compliancey and bottom resistance . the rt stuff was better than stock but not the mp stuff .the bikes were being used for mx and moto pro seems to be geared more towards off road ..
shaggy

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Brentl,
As a followup, you shouldn't have to change your springs at your weight. If I remember right, it comes with .43 kg up front and 5.0kg in rear. these should be plenty stiff. Just get the valving setup right.

And Jeremy might sell his kits seperatly, if he feels you can install them yourself. He sold me a set a couple of years ago.

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Thanks a lot ! C Cycle has a website which seems to indicate that you can get bottoming resistance from changing the hi/lo speed adjuster. Is this possible?
GPrcaing also has a website if you want to look but to be honest all these look look like "me too" products without much cutting edge know how.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Yes, you can gain some bottoming resistance with the Hi/Lo, but its very sensitive and you'll sacrifice small bump compliance. Best to change internally. After that, most tuners will turn the Hi/Lo almost all of the way soft.

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Honda 65 ....Do you think the Type2GVs are better for what I want ? Do you know anything about new GVs ? I probably have a month to consider this (broken collarbone!).I could also hold out until Jer is back and see about his parts. Your comments please...

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
brentl, The Race Tech valves are very good. They were originators in this replacement base valve business and have lasted the test of time. For the do it yourself guy they are an excellent option. I found that they improved my KTM forks bigtime.

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
brent
type 2 valves are small hole pistons they are the opposite of what rt preaches highflow. rt doesn't seem to understand the type of valving to be used with small port type pistons , type 2 stuff is stiff for anything but ax ,sx or freestyle .i lived in lafayette for 10 years before i moved to texas . i know the tracks that you are riding on, type 1 gold valves will work fine . by the way is kentwood going to open up for the winter,
that track rocks!!
shaggy

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Shaggy...do not know about Kentwood. Holeshot has been redone and there are a couple big jumps there that are an example of my bottoming woes. Did you do suspension workin Lafayette? I think that you may have been on my short list to see , then you moved to TX?

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
There are now 3 Gold Valves available for your RM. Type 1, which has been around forever, and is a proven product. Type 2, which has much smaller ports(though still more flow than most stock pistones) which was designed for those who want more bottoming control. Personally I would probably just run the stockers if I was considering this option.

But they just came out with the Type 3 valve, which I suspect is designed for the off-roader in mind. And these are only available for the forks. It has even larger ports than the Type 1, plus it uses a 3mm wider shim (the one against the piston) than the Type 1, which will increase the leverage as well as flow. Very plush, but I'm still working on bottoming control with them. I'm getting close, but I'm having to deviate from their shim stacking configurations. They have valving charts with the kits of course, but they don't really have any recommended valving specs yet. If you bought the kit, and got on line to use their Digital Valving, the specs the computer would give you would be for a Type 1, thus it would be too soft. I'm sure they will change it soon, but thats the way it is for now.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Honda i wouldnt be worried about going away from RTs recommended valving-ive known a few people end up with the softest setting Rt has and these arnt slow light riders.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Oh yea, I'm not to worried. However, I'm having to go in the opposite direction with the new valves. I'm playing with settings that aren't even on there charts. They show alot of promise. Just more testing. Oh well, I guess that means I'm just going to have to go riding again today. ;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Honda65 you mention the newest RT valves use a more conventional size 1st shim?im really not sure what you gain by using a new valve with a similar set up to a std piston.If i wanted really high flow on a std piston i could just put a bleed shim on the piston and get massive flow.I guess im questioning RTs thinking behind new pistons?

I just reread you post and i see they are looking for a setup to help in woods type riding-the whole problem with there approach seems to be you then need about a 1000 shims to stop the bottoming.I bet my fork weighs less with only about 15 shims in total :aj:

Last edited:

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
1st) You don't need to have a 1000 shims. Right now I count 15 shims per leg on mine. But I can see your point.

2nd) I believe this started with questions on a MX setup, and he was asking about GV's in general, and it digressed into the different valves available. As it stands today, I would recommend to someone to stay with the standard Type 1 Valve, at least for MX. For now! I didn't do any more testing on them today.

As for their thinking on the new valve, I would assume that with larger ports and a 24mm shim that deflects easier, you would have a plusher ride.

And for whatever its worth, I believe these were developed with Ty Davis. He originally was taking KTM GV's, which uses the 24mm shims to begin with and was modifing them for his Yamaha's

The new Honda's (Showas) seem to be following this aproach. their port volume makes a GV look like a pin hole. And yes, they do use ALOT of shims. But they seem to be working pretty well. Hey, whats a few extra nano-ounces?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
brentL IMO the gold valves main advantage is you are really paying for the shim charts and understanding.The Gold valve quality isnt a problem.IMO you get better perfomance from std pistons.

Honda the 1000 shims was just in jest.It seamed reasonable to discuss the merits/cons of Rt as brent was thinking of buying some.

Last edited:

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Marcusgunby...Thanks for the opinion.Browsing the threads on this forum has shown me that this is so or nearly so. It is a good way to market the info rather than selling a piece of paper ....it helps one feel as though they have purchased something.
I suppose i might try a revalve ...since I have the shock apart now....maybe some custom parts later.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I've looked at the Moto Pro site. I'm gonna buy them kits and test them out next year. They are the only ones I have not tested with yet and I need to try them out. For what it's worth, they are committing one of the biggest marketing mistakes known in the business world though. Bad move. Shame on them.

I'll make my point this way. When you think of "high flow" suspension, who's the first that pops into mind?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jeff do you think they are making some wild claims-i dont know if you have read about the PDS bladder they offer?they are talking about less stiction as many others do-i tested one-if anything it was a tad firmer than the floating piston due to reduced volume(33% i think jer said)i guess im a bit bored with the marketing side of these things:( i think im going to set up my own piston, its a new invisible type-thats right we remove the piston competley and get a 1000% increase in flow compared to a MOTO PRO set up. :p

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Marcus, jest taken, no offense. But I understand the reasoning behind it. I've been a long time proponent of GV, having stellar success with them over the years. But I'm starting to test again with standard pistons, since I have learned a few new things over the years. And so far, I'm having really good results with them as well.

Hey what ever works.

And Shocknut, are you trying to say that by MotoPro advertising they way they do, they are actually helping Race Tech? Well, I guess thats what you get for ripping off their design. Shoot, they even use the same packaging. And their PDS bladder design looks like an EXACT copy of a W.E.R., except for the engraving. :think:

Oh well.

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
jeff and marcus
it is all marketing just like ics springs for twin chambers and preload springs for adjusters .anything they can make money from.
what do you guys think of that dual spring set up for pds shocks. it reminds me of works performance atv shocks with that adj. travel actuated spring system . there is know way that set up has a better transition than a pds spring . but it may be a an option for a real heavy rider over 260lbs.
shaggy

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Shaggy,Jeff,Marcus ...I thought the same about the huge flow pistoms...for fun look at ccycle.com.....I mentioned it in the beginning of this thread they say some unusual things about adjusters.
I have the following stack
- comp reb
40x.2 (8) 36x.2 (6)
30x.1 28x.1
28x.1 36x.3
38x.25 34x.3
36x.25 32x.3
34x.25 30x.3
32x.25 28x.3
30x.25 26x.3
28x.25 24x.3
26x.25 22x.3
24x.25
22x.3

I have read the factor calculatoe (thichness cubed factor). If I just want more bottoming resistance for now(maybe a piston and custom valving later) the 8 shims give a factor of 64... (10)40x.2 would give 80 is this80/64 more LSC?I am guessing that it is not 1.25 more bottoming resistance.
I f I used (3) .3 shims with a factor of 27 ....27x3=81 would it behave the same as (10) 40x.2?
Am I correct if I want to control bottoming on BIG jumps and flat landings to look at LSC?
You guys have been more than helpful and this forum rocks ...I'll soon become a lifetime member.
Brentl ....aka...Maico man

Top Bottom