Help kdx220 ton of mods low on power

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
hey guys i keep reading about how quick everyones kdx is. my mods are 2003 KDX220,Rb design carb mod,FMF gnarly torque pipe fmf silencer,fmf torgue reeds,airbox mod,and 12t on front sprocket that i just put on. I just put in fresh gas today and ran it with th 13t sproket even in second gear the front end doesnt want to come up it feels like its accelerating but i dont think as much as it should it seems to run clean when accelerating no burbs bogs or anything. so i put the 12 t sprocket on and still no wheelies i dont get it what could it be and it doesnt seem rich because there isnt a ton of smoke either

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Torque pipe keeps everything lower. You have to get within a certain rpm range and punch it. You should be able to get it up. If not see a Doctor :laugh:By the way the Dr. said, check the KIPS

tptp

Aug 16, 2005
If you are able to do wheelies on other bikes but not on the KDX, something is wrong.
If it runs lean, it will damage the engine, and the power gets poor. Maybe you need to check for leaks, do a proper jetting, check the ignition and so on. Hard to know - but there shall be enough power in a KDX to do a proper wheelie!

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
the bike only has like 100 miles on it its practically brand new do you think it could be a jetting issue it helped alittle when i too the air fuel jet i turning it to 7/8 from like 1 1/2 but still not as good as i think it should what is another sign of running to lean

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
What is your jetting. You have a problem somewhere. Most likely KIPS or carb. You do have clean air filter? Do some serious checking and learn about your bike. Have fun--John

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay i just checked the jetting
the main is a 152
pilot is a 48
the metal slide has a 5 on it but i dont know what potision the needle is in meaing top middle or bottom is this in the ball park

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay just got back in i put a 45 pilot in to see if it would help and it did alittle bit i could def feel more power once warmed up i dont see a ton of smoke coming out of the pipe but there is even after a 5-10 min ride alot of spooge on the exhaust. do you think i should try a 42 pilot and would going to a 155 main for saftey be bad

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Don't jet by spooge, it will take forever to clean out by itself.
Set the main with a plug chop.
Your slide should be cut to a 7 ...and I don't think a RB carb would be sent home with a 48 pilot, something smells fishy.
You must reply what needle is in there and...

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
there is definatly somthing wrong there, I have 98 200 with only power reed and airbox mod, everything else stock (13,48 gearing ) and I can pop the front in third and fourth gear. Remember though there is more to lifting the front wheel than power!

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
it didnt come with a 48 but when i got it it was like 20 degrees outside so i put that in with a bigger jet do you think the 45 is still to rich? i still have the 42 it came with and when i do a plug chop do i hold the throttle pinned for 30 seconds that seems like it woulld rev to high

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
:bang: frankie work with us...
Your chop techniques sound in err, more reading is in order, read the sticky links at the top...thoroughly, and clicky go to tech tips and carb tuning.

again, what needle do you have?

Last edited:

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
i have never changed the needle so i have what ever it came from rb designs with
and when i do the chop do i just hold the throttle pinned

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
A chop is useless unless your in a high gear and under load.

Put the 13t back on, The 12 is only going to mask subtle tuning issues because your not loading the engine sufficiently.

Jetting is a process, think of it like fly fishing.
Some who fish are just worm-dunkers, equivalent to a brass-swapper.

Perhaps you may not ever fly fish, and thats ok. But until you reply what needle you have and how its set, your worm-dunkin without a hook.

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
Very good, Try to run 30 seconds, use a fresh plug, reply with the width of the soot ring, and the needle id...

Top Bottom