Help kdx220 ton of mods low on power

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Oh Yes; perhaps find a slight incline or drag a brake a little or both but it must be wide open then shut down immediately, then inspect. This will help you set the main.

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
Only if you hurt yourself. Given the information you have provided, the engine will make it. Use all the gears if you have to. Give yourself room to stop, hold the clutch in and hit the kill switch.

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
yes i read it how to i get the needle off lol sorry to be a pain
i am going to thomoston on thursday to ride
i live in bethel near newtown

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
What main did you settle? How wide was the soot ring?

Get some locking forceps to hold the spring back, slide the plastic ring up, remove the cable end from the slot, keep track of the plastic ring. Use a 8mm or 6mm? socket to remove the holder. Remove the needle, remark the clip position and letters on the needle. Raise the clip one at a time so that mid-throttle postion pulls hard. Don't fret about off-idle yet.
Don't overtighten the holder, it can crumble or sieze.

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay i just did a plug chop i could only run it for about 20 seconds due to lack of room i pulled the plug and it was pretty white a little light tan on the top now there is a 152 main in there i havent seen anyone run higher then that do you think i did something wrong? i pulled the needle and the only thing it says is CEK and its in the middle postion and i have a 45 pilot that i put in yeterday i origonally ha a 48

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
You can leave the main alone if you want to be extra safe, or you can try a 150 and look for more performance but you must read the soot ring width.

Beware, when you setup to run at like this, you must recheck the main when the temps drop again and readjust the clip.

Your pilot is way too fat for a CEK, you have a pilot for the stock needle.
Just for now, put in a 40 till we go back to the pilot.

Put the clip on the next higher slot and check 1/2 throttle performance, rince, repeat for the top clip. If it surges, pings or bogs at 1/2 throttle its too lean.

Forgot to ask what plug you are running, hope its an 8.

Set the air screw to maximize off-idle snap under load, not in nuetral. 2nd gear under a slight incline, adjust in 1/8 turn increments till you find the sweet spot. It can change daily with the weather. WHen you find it, you will know it. I think.

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
yes i use a the 8 plug so even if the plug look fairly white you dont think its to lean i would rather be on the safe side so i will leave it right now i have a 42 pilot will that work right now i have to go to a shop and they arnt open monday but i wont be riding just riding it to check jetting. okay and i will change the clip tommarow i really appreciate it this is helping alot

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
No prob..
Get 35/38/40 pilots.

Won't know if its too lean till you report the soot ring width (at the base of the insulator) but your report of tan suggests its not lean, unless you used a old plug.

A white plug is a happy plug...a grey plug is a sad plug; grey is the piston sputtering off Al.
Good luck tomorrow.

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
KIPS valve timing

frankie said:
hey guys i keep reading about how quick everyones kdx is. my mods are 2003 KDX220,Rb design carb mod,FMF gnarly torque pipe fmf silencer,fmf torgue reeds,airbox mod,and 12t on front sprocket that i just put on. I just put in fresh gas today and ran it with th 13t sproket even in second gear the front end doesnt want to come up it feels like its accelerating but i dont think as much as it should it seems to run clean when accelerating no burbs bogs or anything. so i put the 12 t sprocket on and still no wheelies i dont get it what could it be and it doesnt seem rich because there isnt a ton of smoke either

My 05 KDX220 came from the factory with no low end power but tons of top end speed. As long as you were on the pipe it would haul and lift the front end off whenever you hit the power band right. I just could not live with no low end power.

It turns out that Kawasaki's quality control does miss things. Whoever assembled the KIPS Valve did not torque the nut which holds the valve timing gear in position. So the power valves were not working at all. Hence tremendous acceleration when on the pipe and nothing down low. No Torque from a bike noted for being torquey.

Just pull the kips valve cover which is behind the pipe on the right side of the motor and check to make sure the timing of the valve is lined up to spec. I put off doing this thinking it could not possibly be the problem on a new bike but it was.

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
frankie said:
thanx are there marks to show that is is lined up

Yes, one of the marks is painted the other indented into the gear. They must line up. The nut is reversed thread (left to tighten right to loosen) very important that you remember that if you need to adjust them.

Top Bottom