Oct 14, 2004
ok why do they call those chest protectors roost protectors? I havent ridden before ( Im GETTING a kx 80, i dont have one yet ) and does roost like hurt? lol so is it only meant for roost so i dont really need one or do they really help for the impact and stuff? thanx

PS how is acerbes? I like that green one but i dont know if its good or no

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Legalities.
Yes, they help on impact and yes, roost can hurt!
Get one.

Oct 14, 2004
i acerbes a good one? or is it one of those OK brands.. ??

( thanks for the quick reply )

EDIT: and what do you mean by legalities? like its required if ur racing? becaus eive seen pics with guys without them ( or do they put it under their shirts????)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
By legalities he means the company that makes the roost protectors could face legal issues if it was called a Chest protector and you caved your chest in while wearing one.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
If you ever catch a rock in the chest from a big bike passing you and your not wearing one? :yikes:
You'll be wearing one shortly there after.

Not sure what kind of power a rock thrown from a bike has,?
Stand out by the road, and let some one heave a rock at you at like 60 mph,....and catch it with your chest. Ouuch

Liability?:....just kidding about the standing by the road and catching a rock

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Zoomer said:
just kidding about the standing by the road and catching a rock

Yeah, stand on the shoulder so you dont get hit by a car. ;) JK!

Like the others have said, as soon as you get hit by a rock or some roost you'll wear one.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
in addition to rocks...it helps to protect from a handlebar, a footpeg, or a tree branch from going into your chest.

Definitely get one!!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Also it's a very nice to have on if you go over the bars and land in a thorn bush. Trust me on this one

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Does roost hurt???.......does being hit in the knee with a fist sized granite rock hurt???....split the knee protector in half.......does being hit in the chest with what looked like half a house brick hurt????.......oh yeah.....wear one....all protective gear is good. Look at the damage you get with one...then think what it would be like without it.

Oct 14, 2004
ok I see all these racers with with nothing, is that because some people choose to wear it under the shirt??

PS forget the acerbis because its adult size which pisses me off, im getting a thor after shock, what opinions on color? clear or like a yellow?? thanx ( answer first question over this :))

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Many of the pros don't wear one because it would admit that they might crash. It would also cover up their sponsor's logos.

I wear one (Acerbis) because, although I don't crash anymore, I may choose to quickly dismount if I happen to find a suitable napping place while riding/racing.

AAMOF, don't most companies call them "roost deflectors" now rather than "roost protectors"?

Oct 14, 2004
yea roost deflectors.. so ur telling me that all those racers i think are wearing them under their shirt really arent even wearing them? for racing id definately wear one... idk if ima wear itoutside the shirt i want that acerbis green one but im to small so idk clear or yellow for thor :) :)

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
some do wear the under the jersy type (I know Thor sells them) also there are plenty of riders that ride with the over the jersy kind. I wear mine almost all the time. Mine is a Thor Aftershock that I've had for about 3 or 4 years and it's held up very nice. And with all the soil samples I take, that's amazing. If you want one, get the one that you think will be best for you. Don't base what you get off of what the MX racers wear. :)

Top Bottom