92_CR250_fmf

Feb 28, 2003
My plug went last weekend on my 92' CR250 (B8EG) so I replaced it today with a B9EG (as recomended by my dealer) but that went after about 40 mins of riding.

I put a replacement new B8EG in & it started first kick.

The plug that came out was sparking a little when tested, but in the wrong place. Instead of it jumping the gap, it seemed to be dancing/tracing around the electrode & ceramic base.

Colour was good, nice brown colour, so no wet fouling going on here, In fact, it still looked brand new.

I have checked the coil & black box. These both seem fine, but is one busted? My friend says he had this problem on his 96' RM 250 & he replaced the coil & all was fine.

Does this sound like my problem? I'm out on it again tomorrow, but bet your bottom dollar it'll happen again.

What do you lot think?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Perhaps a bad plug, try a few more, see if it happens again. I suppose it is possible that the coil starts breaking up when it gets hot, but probalby unlikely that it wouldnt' just fail altogether.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
You should be using the BR8EG (resistor) the non-R plug apparently will case you ingition to live a shorter life.

92_CR250_fmf

Feb 28, 2003
92' CR250 keeps eating spark plugs

I wonder if I could pick your brains, as this problem I have is driving me crazy!

I've got a 92' CR250 which is great except it keeps eating spark plugs. It tends to eat them every 30-45 mins of riding, but when I pull them, they are still new looking with no damage whatsoever, whowever the spark traces around the electrode & ceramic base. I've gone through 3 plugs now (BR8EG & BR9EG) & I'm on my 4th in 2 weekends.

Now, 2 sundays ago I spotted fuel pouring from my carb overflow & no ammount of tapping the float chaber would stop it, so I went home & stripped the carb to find a load of crap in there.

Carb cleaned, I fired her up & went back out & it ran for over an hour, stopping & starting no probs untill I fell off.

Started it up this sunday gone & it ran for around 5 mins then it stopped. Changed the plug again with a new BR8EG & it went 1st kick. This time it lasted for a good hour & didn't pack up, but I was riding around a tight 1st & 2nd gear circuit wheras we usually ride through woods & fast tracks etc. The fuel leaking has stopped since I cleaned it by the way, so I don't think this has anything to do with the problem.

The bike is fitted with a FMF gold series pipe with what looks like a a 'Bill emins?' signature on it. I presume it is jetted to suit this pipe as when the plugs are pulled they are golden brown. I run the pre-mix at 150ml of silkolene oil to 5ltrs of 97 octane unleaded.

The only other thing I can think of is a faulty coil (something I've heard CR's suffer from, is that true?) Should I replace the coil (£50ukp) for safetys sake or risk breaking down again? My freind whom I ride with had a similar problem on his 96 RM 250 & a new coil cured it, even though the shop who tested the coil said it was fine.

It's a pain breaking down all the time & having to replace the plug & head home.

What do you think it could be?

Many thanks in advance,

Gwaredd Steele, Wiltshire, U.K.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Do you have a freind with the same bike? Swap out the coils.

Better yet, get yourself a service manual and VOM and take the readings. Have a friend tap the part lightly to see if there are any breaks in the voltage or resistance (intermittent open circuit).

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
One note about taking resistance readings on coils. I have seen many good coils test bad with a simple resistance check and many bad ones check ok. If its WAY out of line I'd probably replace it but it can be like ohming out a motor, unless there is a load on it you may never know.
Good electricians use a megger on motors for good reason.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom