diesel_boy

Jan 1, 2001
I need some help here. there is a straight section at the track, about 4th gear, and it is always getting rutted and its really swampy but gravel. If i go slow, i just get caught in a rut, and slide out.
My question is do i lean back and let the front tire float over them and make my own path thru it, or weight the front end down?

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would keep the front light for the straits and on the back of the bike. I might have to get up a little heading into the turn. That just what I would do. Some others with more experience in the mud would know better. I have not been riding long and in the mud even less, but Its been realy muddy lately and I have fared pretty well.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

MortalMan

Feb 5, 2001
We have been riding sand/desert this year and after rain it gets very rutted. The faster guys in our group say to stay farther back, keep the throttle on and most of all, don't look at the ruts!

Looking at the ruts turned out to be my biggest problem. Once I quit looking, it took longer for them to get around me!

Not much mud riding here through...

------------------
If you find a girl that will bear your children and let you keep your bike... Marry Her!

CR125KID

A Mental Peanut
Jan 31, 2001
yeah, especially in mud, don't look at the ruts, because the dirt is so soft, the mud will squish down and you will make your own rut!!

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
The best trick is speed. Go into the straight as fast as possible, and just stay on the throttle, and keep standing up. It's a little hard to make yourself do at first, but with practice, you'll be more stable, and faster.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
These guys are all right. Stand up & on the back of the bike, keep on the gas, look where you want to go (not at the front wheel) and use lots of body english to help keep it straight. If you slow down the front end will drop and sink into the mud and follow the ruts. Let the back end whip around and keep the front wheel pointed in the direction that you want to go.

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
As you gain confidence, you can attack muddy ruts by wheeling through them. Loft the front wheel just of the ground riht before entering the rut. Stay standing up, with your weight to the back, and the power on. Pick the rut you want, and go for it! With only the rear wheel going through the rut, you are less likely to cross rut. By mastering this, you can gain tons of speed.

Top Bottom