Help? Quickest fork oil level check?

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
YZ426F. Leaking Right Fork oil. I did a cleaning with 35mm film and bought new seals for later installation. In the meantime, can I just remove the upper cap and check levels Right against Left. I realize there are factors that could affect apparent level like air but short of dismantling the fork, how else can I check?
So as not to clutter up the thread, I'll thank everyone in advance.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by wannayz
YZ426F. Leaking Right Fork oil. I did a cleaning with 35mm film and bought new seals for later installation. In the meantime, can I just remove the upper cap and check levels Right against Left. I realize there are factors that could affect apparent level like air but short of dismantling the fork, how else can I check?
So as not to clutter up the thread, I'll thank everyone in advance.

You can only set the oil level with the fork cap and spring removed and the fork has to be fully compressed.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
That being said, you could do a check with the springs out, fully compressed, and adjust the levels, then re-install the springs and drop the fork legs and check it again for a quick refferacne guide. You would assume there is no air in the system and you would need to make an extra long tube or dipstick since the fork leg will be dropped.

Top Bottom