Help - Tranny oil for Cr 125/98 ?

helio

Dec 19, 2001
Hi guys,
I need to change my tranny oil, I would like to have smooth shifting and if possible using the brand Castrol. Any thought ?
Just more one point in clutch cover I can see 650ml, is that the right amount for this bike ?
Any advice should be appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I don't know about the type of oil you should use, just change it regularily. As for the amount, I don't think it takes the full 650ml. You need to remove the small bolt in the cluthch cover and fill the oil until it starts coming out this hole, then you have the right amount. I believe it will take something like 500ml or so...

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
You will be fine with using ANY motorcycle based oil at the right weight. 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil will work fine. My own personal opinion is no oil can give you better protection and better clutch/shifting feeling them Bel-Ray Gear Saver oil. You can decide but just remember to change it regular and don't let the oil get dark, you should always change motorcycle oil when it turns a dark tan color to prevent engine bearing wear. My CR engine uses 650ml and 500ml seems a bit to low in a 125 engine. It alwaysa makes me feel better if I add an extra 100ml just for added protection anf also Mr. Gorr recommends this.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
Yesterday night a neighbor mine offered me a bottle of Ipone BOX 2 gear box oil full synthetic for testing, this product is made in France so I do not know about availability in USA but anyway...Anybody has a experience with it ?

Thanks

ericruby

May 3, 2002
any quality auto oil will work just try to stay away from the friction modified kind(it will say energy conserving on the bottle) it will speed up clutch slipppage.btw i have been using castrol gtx for over 10 years and no problems, just change it every couple of rides

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
The greater the fluctuation in hot and cold viscosity (15-50 is greater than say 10-30) the more additives it takes to retain those ratings, and therefore has less actual lubricating oil per part. The difference is probably minutely small but something to ponder. One of the reasons i buy oil specifically made for motorcycles.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
In my opinion you should buy a specific gear box oil for motorcycles.
I am using currently Ipone BOX 2 gear box oil full synthetic, very smooth shifting and seems to give a good protection.

- Do you have IPONE oils in USA ?

Thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom