gordee

Oct 27, 2009
i have bought a 74-75 suzuki ts 125.it was in a barn for years. my question is this i have the motor and the coil is this the only electrical parts i need?i am not running any lights or anything.i know i need a kill switch but do i need a RECTIFIER ,cdi box?it does have a kick starter. thanks

bchunter

Jul 26, 2009
I have a 79 TS 250 and if they are the same you will need the coil and cdi for the ignition and that is it. The magneto powers the headlight, the spark, and the charging of the battery. You do not need the battery to run the bike, only to light up the turn signals and accessory lights, which as you say you are not using. The rectifier is only for the battery, so if you are not putting a battery into it, then you are good to go.

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
I had a '72 TS125. It had magneto ignition, and did not require a battery for it to run.
When I brought it home from the dealer, I stripped off the lights, turnsignals and battery before I rode it the first time.
Mike

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
i was told that i should only new a coil since it is a points ing. is this true?got a new coil but still no spark.can anyone tell me what wire should go to the coil? i have a yellowwith red stripe,a yellow with white stripe,a green with white stripe,a black with yellow stripe,and a black.i am not sure if this is the right motor for the bike . thanks

bchunter

Jul 26, 2009
Wow, sounds like you got some work cut out for you. Lets start at the begining.

First off, the engine will have a serial number. The first couple of letters and numbers will tell you what make the engine belongs to. On mine it is TS2504 - xxxxx, hence a TS250. It is also my belief that the last digit will indicate the year, so mine is a 1979.

Second, I am basing my info that the 125 is similar to the 250. You should research the 125 to be sure. The 250 does not have any points, the ignition energy is produced by a PEI (point-less electronic ignition), to which the energy for ignition is produced by the magneto.

With that being said, the coil is located between the PEI and the sparkplug. It has (again on mine, I am not sure if yours will be the same) a white with blue tracer and a black with white tracer going from teh PEI to the coil.

As for all the wires you listed above, are those the wires that are coming off the magneto cause that is what it sounds like. There are simularities between mine and the ones you have listed, but only you can tell. Another good start would be to get a wiring diagram for that bike that way you can be sure you are hooking it up correct. If you have a Suzuki dealer close by, they sometimes have the old service manuals for these bikes. That is where I got mine.

Good luck.

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
i got a manual but the wire colors dont match.and the numbers are all messed up on the motor(which kinda scares me)

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
they come from the motor all the wires are in a black plastic tube th comes fromthe side where the magnito(i guess)is located

bchunter

Jul 26, 2009
OK, that makes sense. The colours might not match if the wiring diagram that you have is for a bike made in a different country. For my bike, the wiring diagram for bikes made for the Canadian and US markets is the same for those in other markets.

How far off are the wires that are on the motor to the diagram? The colours you listed above are the same on mine except for one, but my diagram has 6 wires from the magneto while you only listed 5 above.

Let me know what you think, I can take the time to list the routes of my wires if you think it will help.

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
so i put neww points and a condenser on the bike. if i lightly touch the black and yellow to the positive on the coil i will get a light spark but if i completely atach the wire i get nothing i get spark out of all 4 wires if i tap them to a ground but nothing if i hook any thing up to the coil. any ideas?

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
does the bike need a cdi box?the reason i ask is this bike came with just the magnito and a coil so im not sure if i have all the electronics to run the bike. thanks

MOgle80

Dec 4, 2005
if you say you were able to replace points/ condenser , that says it definitely wont have the cdi ( capacitor discharge ignition) module. You need to test the output of the coils by the flywheel ...may have an internal broken winding on one that wont allow enough generated current to get the spark. In which case then , either have your stator rebuilt or find a replacement for it. A place called RMStator is a suggestion. They are in Quebec, Canada . www.rmstator.com

Last edited:

gordee

Oct 27, 2009
so i got a stator off ebay ,installed it and i got spark thanks for the info .must have been a bad stator. iv been working on this thins for about 3 months spent hours trying to figeure out this thing It was bought for a christmas pressent for my son.So me and him put the stator in and i think i was more excited than he was when we saw spark

Top Bottom