Sep 11, 2005
hi, I have a 89 mitsubishi montero(3liter V6). Yesterday my mom got a new car and gave the montero to me.

I came over to my dad's house today to clean it up (I am keeping it at my dad's until I'm 16). I go to start it up so I can move it and it won't start. I figure I left the lights on so I jump started it with my dad's car and it started, so I just moved it where I wanted it and turned it off. then I realized what drained my battery.

When i turned off the car and removed the key, there was a fan going in the engine compartment. I opened the hood and there is a fan mounted to the radiator, it's between the grill and the radiator(not the one connected to the engine by belt). It is powered by an electric motor and it just runs constantly with the key removed and the vehicle turned off. Does anyone know how to fix this. It has never happened before. I had to remove on of the battery wires to stop it. Yesterday my friend and I (and my mom since I only have a permit) took it down a dirt road that has a lot of bumps and puddles(we have gone down the road like 100 times before) so maby that shook something up.

Any ideas?

Butcher-Boy

Feb 18, 2006
I'm not familiar with mitsubishis but I would suspect either the sending unit that tells the fan when to turn on is stuck,froze or broken. or it could be the relay is stuck,burnt or broken. I would start with those two things first,

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you need to get a new fan relay, when they go it can cause the fan to stay on even after you turn the key off or it can make it not come on. The relay is prob stuck, normally a $15 part from pep boys or something

Sep 11, 2005
how do i geto the relay? well I looked under he hood and found nothing. the only thing I found was inside the car on drivers side but the door jam was a compartment with little fuses inside(there were red white and blue ones, about 10 total some said 10, 15,20) There was a thing on the cover saying what they where for but none that said cooling or fan and I checked each one and the little metal tab inside was intact. Is this not the right box? If not where would the other one be? I'm thinking I'm just going to take it to a mechanic, unless someone can tell me exactly how to do this. I don't want to screw it up more.

Butcher-Boy

Feb 18, 2006
The owners manual should tell you where it's at. If you don't have one then go to you're local auto parts store and buy a shop manual. Can't say for sure on your ride, but most relays are located under the hood.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Once agin the value of a good manual for your vehicle (no matter what kind of motorized implement it is) proves to be a valuable tool to have.

My suggestion is to get said manual and it will no doubt have a trouble shooting guide as well as wiring schematics. You will find your relay in these schematics.

Sep 11, 2005
thanks, all i have is the stock owners manua. So all it tells me is how to add washer fluid. I will get a shop manul. The problem fixed its self today but I'm worried it will start agian. It wasn't working this after noon but then it just stoped running when i turned the car off and now everyhting works great!

Top Bottom