BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Ok my sons 01 CR80 died saturday and wouldnt restart. I pulled the plug and we have intermittent spark. I found another 01 CR80 and switched (1) The coil. Still intermittent spark (2) the CDI box at this point both are switched and it appears I only have spark when I spin the motor over very fast. If it spins slow ... no spark.
I switch both parts back to my originals and figure I need a stator because mine has a low side out or weak. I switch stators and same thing ... spark only when the motor is spun over fast? What is going on and how do I test each of these components to verify which one is bad?

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
My guess is you don't have a manual, best bet is to have one. You can take a resisence test of each component with a multi-meter. If your dealer isn't very helpfull in giving you what the numbers should be I'll take the reading off are 01 and post them for you, but it might not be untill tomorrow untill I can post them.

I believe you have to be confident that the components that you swopped out are good, just the stator is in question. If you buy a fly wheel puller (about $12) you can visually inspect the stator to see if a bolt came loose or some thing.

With a low spark, or intermittent spark look for a wire grounding out, start with the kill switch button.

BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Thanks, I will start over and test everything one piece at a time. I have the flywheel off and a tech at the local shop says the flywheel could be the problem.

Top Bottom