brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey all my dad has a 1985 honda atc 125m, yes i know this not a atv or even atc lol site but i thought id ask here first since you guys have probly dealt with it all
anyway to the topic at hand it sat out one winter night and lost spark... fast forward about 14 years i was messing with the cdi rotor and it now has a nice spark But turning it over it makes spark only at very low revolutions and it does it intermittently let me know what you think thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
My neighbor had a similar problem when his quad sat outside. Turned out to be the switch on the handlebars. Took the switch apart and cleaned it. Works fine now.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
ya i already took the kill switch off but it seemsnlike it wont make spark consistently over 1000rpm so the bike will fire but it wont run i heard that maybe if i heat up the ignition coil it might work

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
brentoncole said:
ya i already took the kill switch off but it seemsnlike it wont make spark consistently over 1000rpm so the bike will fire but it wont run i heard that maybe if i heat up the ignition coil it might work

Remove the coil and p-u coil and have them tested for proper value.

Check out www.extremeatv.com for quad questions.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey 89r you were totally right i swapped a coil from a baja scooter and it purrs like a kitten after 14yrs wow now i have to go give the local dealer a piece of my mind they said it's coil was fine

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey so its a bike that hasnt ran in 14yrs and it smokes a little bit when it first starts up and also when it is full throttle is that a valve leak or what it is dark smoke any thing i can do or should i just run it for a while or adjust the carb

Top Bottom