wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I just got my new '03 KDX200 yesterday and I'm SO excited! I've been out of trail riding for about 10 years and I'm itching to get back out there!

I read the "New Bike Info" on the JustKDX site and I have some questions:
1) Do I have to take the chain off to clean it? Can I clean it in place and then put lube on it, or should I just spray lube on it and be done with it? What should I clean it with?
2) I want to change the transmission fluid. The manual says to use 10W-40-ish motor oil. Can I use a synthetic motor oil in there?
3) Am I the only person who is reluctant to tear apart his/her brand new motorcycle and do stuff to it? I had an old beater bike 10 years ago and I didn't mind messing with it, but tear apart the suspension linkage on my NEW bike? I did that on the old bike and I can do it on my new one, but I'm uneasy about it...

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Oh yeah, another thing...

Do I REALLY need to tear down the engine for an inspection now that the break in is over? Yes, I know that would be the most complete thing to do, but do most riders really do that?

And all I could really do for the break in period was ride around my yard in 1st/2nd gear. I didn't hit it hard and I ran it in 10/20/30 minute cycles with cooldowns in between, but I never really got it up to speed. Should I consider the break in over at this point?

Thanks so much for helping this newbie out!!!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
just lube the chain unless its really dirty. i run synthetic in mine, 10w40 amsoil motor oil without any problems. i didnt tear my top end down after break in, replaced rings after first year. the old ones were still good just changed them since i had it apart. i grease my swingarm (tear it down) once a year. try running synthetic premix at 40 to 50:1. will keep your exhaust valves cleaner. good luck on your jetting adventure. this is just my 2 cents others may say different.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Newbie to Newbie(Star Wars?),

Going on 2nd summer w/2002 KDX 200. This is a combination of thoughts and advice learned on this site w/a dash of personal experience.

1. Dont spend too much time w/ the factory chain/sprockets you will need to change them soon. Some sort of rubber alloy...? But to make it last, clean w/ brush or whatever and lube.
2. Went w/manual for tranny oil - 2050 summer 1040 fall/wint/spring - many do use synthetic. Everyone swears by their brand/weight, but I've yet to hear of one type(proven) to out performing another.
3. Buy a manual - repack all bearings. I haven't had a bearing problem, but heard enough convincing info to do it - doesnt take alot of time anyway.
4. Also went w/32:1 Maxima SuperM - again, seemed to be popular and along w/the oil,...I've yet to hear of one type(proven) to out perform another. Lots of good oils on the market - pick one.
5. Don't sweat the break-in scare in the manual. Sounds like your ready to rip.
6. Print a copy of "Carburator tuning" by Canadian Dave, read it and rejett.

This should get you started, I have my bike tweaked to meet and beat my W. Pa. riding areas. I ride/rode w/ some great riders and rode side by side - be patient, ride for a while and tailor your bike to meet your riding conditions.

Good Luck

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
why give up any power with an o ring chian, it aint like the kdx is abundant with it. run an o ring on a kx. if you take care of a regular chain it will last. if you dont think that unnecessary o ring is eating power put on a standard chain and see how much more freely your rear whell spins. doesn't that tell you something? use what you like though its your bike.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks, that does help. The brush idea is good. I'll go ahead and get a service manual (Lord willing) and disassemble the suspension linkage for a good greasing, maybe the steering stem too...

I did that on my previous KDX200 (and loads of other stuff too), but it was wore out when I got it and I wasn't worried about it. With a new bike, I just want to be more careful.

Thanks again for all of the outstanding info!!!

Top Bottom