albeefan

Mar 21, 2001
Hi there, I need some help learning how to negotiate turns. Our track is pretty wet and there are deep lines in the corners and standing water on the inside. Every time I try to make a turn it seems that the rear tire slides up and out causing me to go off the track (btw, I have new tires front and rear). The last turn I tried was a right hand turn, nothing but mud, and I dumped it when I got off the gas because my rear tire was going to the left and it felt like it was slipping out from under me. Do I keep on the gas and let the rear 'catch up' or what? Speed is definately not a factor here since I have only practiced twice and am working my way up to 4th gear. Thanks again

------------------
'97 Honda XR100 and working on a 1974 Elsinore MT250 - Albee was the Best!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
If you get a chance, watch how other riders go about it, even approach ones that you think look cool (on the track) and ask them the best way.

Also, do a search of the techniques forum, I was looking but there are so many posts there, I thought it probably better you look & see which ones are relevant for you. Don't be afraid to ask at the track, the worst they can do is a) ignore you b) tell ya to go away.

Also check out Gary Semic's techniques book, which you can get from Eric Gorr's website (Eric's book is also great to learn about setting up your own bike/working on it in case you're interested). www-ericgorr.com

Good luck & let us know how it goes :)
Michelle

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Going to move this to the riding techniques forum--you'll probably a better response there.

albeefan

Mar 21, 2001
Follow Chris?!? Are you kidding, I can't even think about keeping up with him. Besides, he likes to roost too much :)

I think we will try to make it out to the X-track this weekend and let me get out on the pee-wee roundy round track so I can get the hang of turns and shifting.

------------------
'97 Honda XR100 and working on a 1974 Elsinore MT250 - Albee was the Best!

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
Hi Albeefan,
I may have some help for you. The info. I am going to give you comes from a Gary Baily traning film. This is what he says about flat turns. I assume this will work in muddy conditions too. I have been working on this technique and it works. Here we go.
When in the turn you want to weight the outside peg by placing your rear end on the outside edge of the seat. Your outside elbow up. The higher your inside leg will place more weight on the outside peg. Make sure your wrist does not drop below the throttle grip. If it does you need to regrip so that it doesn't.
Try this and I think you will feel the difference. Also you may want to check out the riding tips in the different mags. There are a lot of good ones.

Good luck,
Gary

------------------
It's not how fast you can go but how much fun you have!

Top Bottom