Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm trying to get this streaming video thing down... using Microsoft's new codec. Here is one that should be pretty quick to start streaming (sorry about the content, needed some "action").

Can a few of you take a look and let me know? Tell me what speed connection you have?

Thanks!

This one is "low quality" (492K)
http://dirtrider.net/test5.WMV

This one is "medium quality" (576k, but shorter)
http://dirtrider.net/test6.WMV

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Okie - it worked great. We are on DSL here at the office, and even the first time through, only a minor hesitation. The loading time only varied by a couple of seconds from the actual playing time (the second time through.

Now, I will try it at home also, if you remove the CR500AF from your signature:silly: I will actually try it on the 56K connection when I get there.

Have a good weekend, and try to stay cool, or at least hydrated!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
T1 here, wouldn't bother with the quality of the 1st one, 2nd is "OK". A little hesitation a couple of times even though it has (supposedly) buffered past where it was playing.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I got "Unable to download an appropriate decompressor" on the first one.
The second one was Ok, not totally clear. I'm on a T1 here at work and there was a bit of hesitation. Pretty cool though. :)

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
100% Ditto on Kiwi's response here. The first one had that digital fuzzy look pretty bad, the second was about 80% fuzz free:)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I have a comcast digital cable connection. And the 2nd one ran fine with no hesitation.

How does one make a streaming video?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The last one is the quality I would want. Worked fine on DSL at home.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The last one was great. It started playing in about five seconds on my cable (1 MB ), no skipping. I think the pixelation in the close up is a function of the camera, not the video file.

P.S. Nice "action" shot of the dog doing his business...;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The pixels aren't due to the camera :) ... Just picked up a Sony TRV30 ... I can't believe the vid quality! Looks as good as anything broadcast. The pixels come from the compression scheme... it tries not to replace pixels it doesn't think have changed. Compression on the web works best for talking heads, where the back ground and pretty much everything else doesn't move.

Still messing with it, I'll find a good compromise.

What's it all leading to? Lots of vid of DirtWeek, published on CD-ROM with clips on the site.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Worked great here with about a 4 second start. Have you look into DIVX? Great compression and excellent quality.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
3.5 minutes on a 24K connection. The price you pay for living in the country.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
8 second delay and then started playing at 28% buffered, no problems.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The last one worked good(on cable). A couple of minor pauses. Loaded super quick.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
#5 & #6 took about 2 minutes to download on 56K modem with local ISP. Sorry it took so long to reply. It is Friday night!:confused:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Yeah, I had a on of those MACs at Mcdonalds yesterday. Ummm good. I got the low qualtiy and the medium on the first post. They were fast, but I did get some pixelization. I could not get the right compressor for the high quality in the later post. I'm on an @home cable modem. They put me on a crowded node so I have to so I have to share with the rest of the bandwidth hogs:(

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Low and medium vids looked distorted and laged while loading. Second vid much faster with some distortion(social?) and no lag. Using DSL service.

Top Bottom