Here are some track building tips...

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Here's some info if you want to build your own track, I just finished my second one today.

Not sure where to post this.

No particular order.

Check out www.dirtwurx.com, Rich Winkler gives some great tips, and they build all the supercross tracks.

He's spot on with his advise to use natural terrain if you can.
My first track was a supercross style, totally flat piece of land but now I built one on a slope, the landings are great (freefalling, anyone?), but since you land on a downward slope it's not intimidating at all.

Get your hands on a dozer if you can, it makes a world of difference, I used a 23ton Fiat Allis 14 CT, size is about the same as a Caterpillar D6. The amount of dirt you can push (vs. tractor) is just amazing.

I used the dozer 30+ hours for a full-size track (3/4 miles long, 20 feet wide) and I've got everything on it, whoops, tables, step-ups, step-downs, curves, even a freestyle jump.
I built a dirt one integrated into the track, it's made as a tabletop so it's not intimidating for beguinners, for the same reason I decided not th have any doubles altough I'm comfortable doing them.

Turns are fun to build too, there are some 180º turns, the slower ones are small and there are a few hi-speed turns too,
I learnt that you have to grade the curves properly, the "wall" has to be straight, it's kind of hard to explain but you have to try to avoid building it like a bowl, it's more like a straight surface from the bottom of the turn to the top.

Cost for a dozer down here is about 60$ per hour so it's not cheap but it would have taken five times longer to do it with the Deere.

Tomorrow I'll be polishing up the rest of the track with a tractor and a rear mounted blade and start practising.
The dozer is great for heavy work but not as efficient for the litte stuff.

For the freestyle jump I figured out the correct angles and dimensions thanks to www.fmxramps.com. They have some great pictures of steel ramps and I just translated that to dirt, no problem.

Let me know if this info is useful, and also if anyone needs more info, just ask.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Yes! This is exactly the kind of info many people need. Any pics? Having pics along with text explaining how and why you did it the way you did would be great!

(Here I am making work for you!)

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Update on the track

Thanks High Lord Gomer, it's an honor to be able to help.
Seriously, many times I've been able to find useful info on www.dirtrider.net so if I can give something back, great!

OK, my dream track is about ready, I rode it today and it's pretty decent, I'll do some slight remodeling on two or three takeoffs, it's incredible how the takeoff affects your flightpattern!

Total dozing time was 34 hours, at 60$ an hour makes slightly over two grand. Does anyone know what a Cat D-6 would cost per hour in the states?

Man, I'm happy I could do this before diesel prices exploded, that thing sucks eight gallon BY THE HOUR!

As I said earlier, the dozer was worth every penny, an hour equals seven-eight tractor hours, easily.

I'll take some pictures and maybe High Lord Gomer can post them for me, gimme two to three days and I'll do a little story on it.

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Rainy days...

It's been raining a bit here so it's gonna be a few more days until I have the article online on Gomer's site.
The writing is mostly done but I still have to take some pictures and maybe post a few drawings.

The good thing is that drainage seems to work fine, no big puddles on the track for now.

Then again, we didn't get Catrina down here, my thoughts go out to those people affected by the storm, God bless you.

Top Bottom