bsp83

Jun 11, 2003
im new to this forum and had a question. im thinking about buying a new kdx 220 this week and had one question. i currently have a 95 rm 125 and hate it because it has no high speed stability. however, it turns like a champ. i was wondering if the kdx was the same way. i want a bike in between both. other than that the bike i rode was great. im going to pick it up friday if it handles good. thanks
brett

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
I have a '91 KDX 200 and it seems to handle pretty well at speed. It prolly wont slice and dice as well as your RM, but it does good despite its an off road bike and not an MXer

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The kdx geometry will result in some high speed instability, but quick tight turns at low speed. You can do a little adjustment moving the forks down in the clamps. If buying a new kdx, set money aside to have the suspension set up. A steering stabilizer will make a night and day diffrence.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've speedtrapped mine at 70.5mph. It shakes just enough to feel at that speed. Anything under 55 like fast fire roads, and it is great. Meanwhile, nothing turns tighter in the woods, even KTM's take a back seat to KDX in the tight woods for manuvering.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
KDXs handle TERRIBLY at high speeds --anything over 3rd gear. It understeers AND oversteers giving the pilot zero confidence in what it will do next. It was designed as a low speed tight turning gnarly trail gobbling machine and it's very difficult to change it's manners. A $350-600 steering damper is your only hope. Dirt bike Mag did a comparison[ against the KTM 200] and even after Jeff Fredette completely redid the suspension -which is terrible in stock form - Their final comment was that if you wanted a 3rd gear and under bike, it's the KDX. If you want to go fast, get the KTM. You'll spend enough $$$$$ on the suspension alone to where you could have gotten the KTM. The KTM however isn't nearly as friendly in the slow stuff -both engine and suspension are designed for 3rd gear & up.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Granted, not the most stabil bike at 65 - 70 mph, but not nearly as bad as described above, IMO.
Have you ridden a KTM at 65? Mine had "race teched" suspension...at that speed I remember plenty of headshake.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Excuse my french, but Robcolo is so full of it he's got to hurt. A newer (95 to present) will perform as I stated. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING terrible about a KDX including handling at high speeds. Robcolo, if you own one and are having troubles, I suspect you have some bad bearings in the steering head, wheels, or the tire is mis inflated or out of balance, bent. Dirt Bike mag, if they said anything is probably being misquoted. If they truely said the things you say they did, then they are full of crap and you are a fool for passing it on without any first hand experiance to validate their claim. Rear suspension is perfect as is for any normal rider with only a slight preload adjustment needed to fine tune. Fredette only offers revalve and respring to complement the adaquate stock suspension and I'm willing to bet most riders wouldn't be able to appreciate a revalve anyway, so that would just leave stiffining the springs for the front. Please quit posting false information here that just confuses folks.

bsp83

Jun 11, 2003
thanks everyone. i found a new bike in houston for 3700 and im planning on going to get it tomorrow. thanks again.
brett

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I've always wanted to check my speed but the thought of me rippin' down a loggin' road holding the throttle wide open in one hand and my GPS in the other... ;)

(I guess I better reword this, to end all this confusion)
I ride in 3rd and above every chance I get, (is that better) I've never noticed any high speed stability problems (except for the occasional tree)

The suspension on my KDX is still softer than a MX bike even after putting in the FRP .40's but I can ride my KDX for hours and not be as fatigued as I would be riding my buddy's CR for just a couple hours.

The only thing terrible about my bike is when I break stuff on it :whiner: But I should be ok this weekend 'cuz CC said he'd follow me around and pick up all the peices! :laugh:

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hey bsp83, jump on that new KDX220 for that price! You got yourself a great deal. Wibby, if you be breakin your KDX, I would hate to be your health insureance provider! Later, I'm off for the whole rest of the weekend in the mountians, YEA!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

My kdx is steady as a rock as fast as it will go, and that's well over 70mph. And that was without the WER.

My riding buddy's kid's brand new (to him) ktm125 with an RG3 suspension (ready?..$4900!!.. for the SUSPENSION!!) is so unstable that at most anything called 'speed' the front end wobbles like an off-center top (he said..I don't wanna ride the thing and wreck it!).

bsp..Check the 'every kdx rider should read...' at the top of this board. There is a new bike prep section that will save you tears, time and $$$ in the near future.

I dunno what it was I just ran over...but it looked like it had a BLUE SEAT! ;)

Last edited:

bsp83

Jun 11, 2003
thanks everybody. im going to wild west honda kawasaki in katy tomorrow to pick up the 220. the price is 4082.21 out the door. which i think is very reasonable. thanks for the advice.
brett

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Full of it? not after a high speed ride on my KDX --it's all in my shorts. I stand by my comments. I've a '99 220 also, with Fredette configured GVs & springs front & rear + WER stabilizer. High speed handling isn't about wobbles & shakes -which mine doesn't have -it's about trusting the front end & knowing where it's going to go. I was a B rider for 3 years and still have a 95 KX 250 to compare so I actually know the difference. Dirt Bike mag is also full of it huh ? What would they know as they're only professional racers who get to ride the latest state of the art stuff 24/7/365. " The KDX is the king of all speeds below 10 mph. The KTM is the ruler of everything faster" - Dirt Bike June '98 p 29 and " ...there's the underworld [2nd gear & under ] and there's over world [3rd gear & up] The KDX rules the underworld where speed is less important... The KTM is king of higher speeds where the whole point is to go fast..." p30. This is after they spent $1100 upgrading the KDX motor & suspension. In all fairness, they had a lot of complaints about the KTM and very few about the KDX. They did another KDX KTM shootout in their Aug '99 issue with almost identical results & comments. The '98 article is very fair & informative --maybe we could post it on an "articles" page.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
We got real trails here, we just like to go real fast on em! :aj:

Hey, who just ran over me?

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by Robcolo
Dirt Bike mag is also full of it huh ? What would they know as they're only professional racers....
That statement is really funny :) ...you're right, they do get to ride the latest stuff though.

All kidding aside Robcolo, I totally disagree with your statement. I have a CR in my garage and just sold my DRZ, compared to those two bikes, the KDX handles VERY well at speed, downright confidence inspiring:)
The SX I used to have wasn't that much better either.

As mentioned before, different strokes for different folks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ha! Third gear, 'eh?

Remember these names, there wibby:

Cow$hi+ springs
Deer trail
Galls ridge
Jackson Creek

...and there's always Elevator (I'll wait for you at the top after I ride around it).

this is gonna be fun!!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I reworded my earlier statement on this thread, it seems people take Oregonians too literal at times... ;)

Ugh, :think: Uhh....... Elevator? :think: I don't like the sound of that one!

Is there a bunny hill up there?

Maybe I should just bring the Z50!

Hey CC,
Youre not gonna come in here Monday and tell stories about me are you?

Last edited:

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
i dont know why dirtbike mag would say the kdx isnt fast. my bike screams i bet u it can do at least 80mph down a straight away (top speed).i dont know but the ktm traded in there high revs for more bottom end power. tyhe kdx has both.my kdx200 is just plain and simpley fast and has awesome bottom end.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I believe the short wheelbase does contribute to high speed instability over rough stuff. That's why I put longer tie rods on the UniTrak to lower the rear end which increases the fork angle without having to drop the forks in the clamps too much. Problem solved. And much cheaper than a steering stabilizer. But as you know, until the new morph-cycle comes out in 2020 it's all about compromise. I've lost some low speed precision but there aren't any mountain trails here so I won't miss it.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
:confused: Skipro and I both have MX suspension on our KDX's and I think the difference in high speed stability is present when going over rutty, choppy terrain. The ktm 250 exc, my buds, and the kdx scream across harvested fields at over 70 mph. He gets unstable and lets off. Maybe it is stance. If the kdx is suspended for your weight I don't think there should be much of an issue. The fun factor of a kdx is three times better than a KTM. I just hate its tall internal gearing and that goofy front fender. Plus its orange. They should go back to the days of white.
KTM's are for European GP's and American west coast riders.
KDX's are for everything else.
Man I am biased. :moon:

bsp83

Jun 11, 2003
thanks for the help everybody. i just got home and have been breaking the bike and man is it awesome. it is 100 times better than my 95 rm. way more power, its comfortable, and the suspension even feels stiffer. im so glad i picked this bike.
brett

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Brett,

Before you ride that KDX too much - go through and grease the bearings.

as CC mentioned - read the "every kdx rider should read ..."  thread in this forum.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
In my opinion, the rear suspension sag setting has quite an effect on high speed stability. When I got my '01 200 (used), the rear sag was set at about 93 mm (less than recommended). At high speeds there was a lot of "wandering". I changed the sag to 100 mm, and it handles better at now at high speeds. My understanding is that the rear end settles down more with rider weight and changes the effective fork angle. Has anyone else noticed the effect of sag on stability??

Jeff

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom