Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
farmerj, you're 100% correct - lowering the rear effectively increases the steering angle --which is what Jaguar has accomplished with the longer pull rods --that method starts you out with your swingarm in a more horozontal position. You also lose at least an inch of suspension travel and all too frequently feel that rear tire gnawing at the underside of your seat. The "wandering" that we experience with the KDX is due to oversteer -- The tire "Bites" and before you can correct, the wheel goes off in whatever direction it wants. By increasing the fork angle, it gives your arms a better leverage ratio by moving the front wheel into a less effective angle with respect to the ground. It's also called "slowing down" the steering. A steering damper accomplishes the same thing by mechanically resisting those side to side swings. Unfortunately by lowering the rear and increasing the effective steering angle, you exaggerate another even worse trait of the KDXs --understeer or washout.[which is what really irks me about my KDX] You'll be going around a fast corner in 5th or 6th and suddenly the front end goes away--not a confidence builder !! So how can a bike exhibit BOTH understeer and oversteer ?? Maybe we can get Jeremy of MX Tech to explain that one. [IMO, the understeer is due to improper internal valving --especially too soft rebound damping. Has anyone out there installed the adjustable rebounders and with what results?]

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I just move my weight forward on flat turns when I turn to make it bite better.
The rebound damping is adjustable by changing the fork fluid. Heavier oil gives more damping. Freddette recommends 5 and 10 weight mixed 50/50 which is what I have and I haven't experienced understeer (washing out) but I don't do 5th or 6th gear turns (would that be hare scrambles? awfully fast for a turn).

rafycr

May 9, 2003
I just have to agree. I have a KTM 125SX 2001 and a KDX 200 2002. I've done some real work on my KDX and I have to say the bike is great at any speed. The front forks have to be worked on. The rear is good except the spring might be a bit on the stiff side. Nothing that can't be fixed. People who blame the KDX on high speeds may need more time on the saddle!

Originally posted by skipro3
Excuse my french, but Robcolo is so full of it he's got to hurt. A newer (95 to present) will perform as I stated. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING terrible about a KDX including handling at high speeds. Robcolo, if you own one and are having troubles, I suspect you have some bad bearings in the steering head, wheels, or the tire is mis inflated or out of balance, bent. Dirt Bike mag, if they said anything is probably being misquoted. If they truely said the things you say they did, then they are full of crap and you are a fool for passing it on without any first hand experiance to validate their claim. Rear suspension is perfect as is for any normal rider with only a slight preload adjustment needed to fine tune. Fredette only offers revalve and respring to complement the adaquate stock suspension and I'm willing to bet most riders wouldn't be able to appreciate a revalve anyway, so that would just leave stiffining the springs for the front. Please quit posting false information here that just confuses folks.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i dont know what rob is talking about, i had my 91 KDX wide open in 6th yesterday and it was awsome, i was doing turns in mid 5th too(wide turns...). I cant say enough good things about the kdx, great bike and fast and reliable.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
Well i have a 93 KDX 250 and i have speed traped it at 76.9 MPH and i don't see anything wrong with the Handling. As far as ROlocco maybe check the front tire and the air pressure it can have a lot to do with front end handling.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
All of you who are saying it handles good at high speed:
Have you gone over nasty bumps at speed? straight/turning/landing?
Only if you have then please report your experience.
I think this is one of those topics that only the advanced riders can correctly report on. Rookies can't tell the difference between a good and bad handling bike. Nor do they ever get up a good speed on a bumpy motocross course. So how can they contribute cleanly to this topic? Answer: they can't
I would ask to only hear from KDX owners who are more advanced than novice MXers. All you boondockers who don't MX, take a seat and open your ears and maybe you'll learn something.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom