hitting particular jump? 2nd or third gear?

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I'm trying to build my confidence working on this particular double jump... It's a step down however that has been build by some locals and I like it because it looks like if you case it bad it won't hurt you too bad... However you can't see the landing at all... I built up some confidence on smaller stuff and figured
I'd try and clear it in 2nd on my 125... I wasn't wide open in 2nd but definitely in the power... The first time I committed to it I landed on top of the landing ramp it was sketchy but I didn't crash... The second time I figured Id give it a lil more gas and I landed with the rear wheel on top of the landing
ramp and I went over the bars and the bike went flipping all crazy... I did'nt get hurt hardley at all but i was shook up
and called it a day... I keep thinking of people in video and crashes they walk away from, what I'm doing is nothing... I can't stop thinking about this jump... I've found sometimes it's better to be in a higher gear than to be reving it out really hard, it's smoother and if I'm in to low a gear
the front end will land first...
But I also don't want to over jump it... I think I could clear it in second but I already had a kinda scary over the bars crash... I was so close only six more inches my rear tire would have cleared it, the top of the landing ramp...
Anyone ever been in a situation such as this... You arn't sure if you should wined
it out more in 2nd or just go to third... The jump face is such that if you have the speed you can clear it... No pulling up or doing anything tricky... I guess I'm scard of over jumping but that would have to be better than casing it again right? Any input would be appreciated... I know with out seeing what I'm trying to do it's hard to offer any advise but if anyone has any imput i'd be stoked...

L

LukeRips

On a down hill jump like a step-down. I'm always in a tall gear (3rd) so I'm not grabbing a hand-full of powerband. Once at the take-off just BRAAP and make sure your standing in the attack position. step-downs are hard because like you said, you can't see the landing and that makes it really hard to pull the trigger. Let speed carry you off the jump and use your throttle to control the frontend.

L

LukeRips

Keep in mind that I'm on a 2Fiddy. 3rd gear on a 1-2-5 might be different, I haven't ridden one for many, many moons..

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Have you seen anyone else make the jump? On a 125? You might ask/observe how they do it and go from there. Sounds like 3rd would be a good choice. Good luck YZ165

dante

Mar 24, 2004
YZ165 said:
Have you seen anyone else make the jump? On a 125? You might ask/observe how they do it and go from there. Sounds like 3rd would be a good choice. Good luck YZ165

I wish their was someone else to watch clear it... does'nt seem like allot of guys are riding right now as it's so hot out... over 100 degrees right now in the desert were i live... I've only had my bike for 2 weeks so I get out as long as I can handle the heat... Hopefully I'll see someone hitting it so I can chat with them but so far I've been out by myself...

dante

Mar 24, 2004
LukeRips said:
On a down hill jump like a step-down. I'm always in a tall gear (3rd) so I'm not grabbing a hand-full of powerband. Once at the take-off just BRAAP and make sure your standing in the attack position. step-downs are hard because like you said, you can't see the landing and that makes it really hard to pull the trigger. Let speed carry you off the jump and use your throttle to control the frontend.

exactly not being able to see the landing makes it hard to commit, "pull the trigger" But it seems kinda sketchy in 2nd "grabing a handful of powerband" it feels like it would want to flip or be nose high... I had more second gear even when I cased it hard the second time... Even thought it's a step down I think it might be easier for me to be in third within a more managable part of the bikes power band... Even though it's a 125 I have a 50 tooth rear sprocket so the power band hits pretty good and early and pulls well... I can't imagine what a 250's hit is even like I've never tried a modern 250 mx bike...

efergason

Sep 12, 2002
Jumping anything is primarily about the speed and not so much about the gear you are in. I personally don't like step downs be cause you can't see the landing and therefore must jump based on memory of distance.
One thing to remember is that landing on the front wheel is not necessarily bad. Watch the pros hit the down side of a jump.
Think about this particular jump as a large mound, draw an arc from the top of the take off up and then down to the landing and that's the path of flight you want.
You want to be able to move your weight forward to keep the front wheel down.
Crashing is unfortunatly part of learning to jump. ( broken tailbone on first double attempted) Just be confident and don't even think your not going to make it, don't panic if it's not perfect and ride it out.
Also learning how to control the bikes attitude in the air ( nose up or down) is essential to good jumping and easiest to learn on table tops.

Tailbone

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
it sounds like your riding totally alone. if that's so, don't attempt the jump til someone else is there with you. i don't want to jinx you or anything. i just think MX and open water swimming are the same, always take a buddy.

btw, my grandmother jumps better than i do, so i'll leave the advice to those wiser and braver souls that have already contributed.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
efergason said:
Jumping anything is primarily about the speed and not so much about the gear you are in. I personally don't like step downs be cause you can't see the landing and therefore must jump based on memory of distance.
One thing to remember is that landing on the front wheel is not necessarily bad. Watch the pros hit the down side of a jump.
Think about this particular jump as a large mound, draw an arc from the top of the take off up and then down to the landing and that's the path of flight you want.
You want to be able to move your weight forward to keep the front wheel down.
Crashing is unfortunatly part of learning to jump. ( broken tailbone on first double attempted) Just be confident and don't even think your not going to make it, don't panic if it's not perfect and ride it out.
Also learning how to control the bikes attitude in the air ( nose up or down) is essential to good jumping and easiest to learn on table tops.

Tailbone

I see what your saying I've seen video of guys landing slightly angled nose first and land on the landing ramp with both wheels at the same time... but the problem I was having on this small step down was my front wheel would roll over the lip of the jump and I'd hit the gas too late sending the back end straight up in the air almost flipping over, like your looking straight at the ground... I most likley needed to have my weight more twords the back and practice tapping the rear brake I'm not sure... But I practiced going up one gear on the same step down keeping the speed up with out grabbing any powerband... rollong over it with speed instead of BRAAP on the lip after with the front wheel in the air...

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Since you're new to dirt bikes, do yourself a big favor and learn the riding skills basics. Otherwise, at this rate, you're going to get hurt and that might permanently keep you out of our elite ; ) ranks.

There are several books and many videos about riding techniques. I'd suggest the Dirt Rider book and any of the Gary Semics videos. You'll learn more about correct technique including landing big jumps in a few hours with these, than in trying this jump repeatedly on your own.

Also, do NOT ride alone.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
markthomps said:
Since you're new to dirt bikes, do yourself a big favor and learn the riding skills basics. Otherwise, at this rate, you're going to get hurt and that might permanently keep you out of our elite ; ) ranks.

There are several books and many videos about riding techniques. I'd suggest the Dirt Rider book and any of the Gary Semics videos. You'll learn more about correct technique including landing big jumps in a few hours with these, than in trying this jump repeatedly on your own.

Also, do NOT ride alone.

I'll look into it the books and videos... However I grew up doing doubles on BMX bikes and riding my XR 75 as a kid so I have some experience... I went along time out of the dirt though... and I've had a bunch of street bikes too... I used to off road my KZ 400 in high school (no jumps on that)... I've even sort of mastered power sliding my sport bike in the sand as crazy as that sounds... Their are lots of dirt roads and trai;s were i live... I've been off roading/trail riding my FZR 400 for many years... I am pretty good cornering my 125 and I've been doing pretty good throwing it around... I'm approaching these jumps with prudence... A guy showed up the other day while I was out riding and schooled me some too... It was real cool to see someone else just clearing these jumps no problem and get some tips just watching... I think my main problem was being afraid to really get the speed I needed to clear the gap... On jumps with no gap say a jump going up a hill were you can hit as slow or as fast as you want I have no problems at all...

Top Bottom