Honda 250cc valve guide replacement?

Maxxwilde

Oct 8, 2005
Hi everyone, I've been browsing the boards for awhile and I'm wondering if I could get your opinion on something...
I have the oppurtunity to buy a dirtbike for $100. It's an early 80's honda, 250 cc. Sorry, don't know the model number. The downside, is that it needs a valve guide replaced and new heads. Now, I don't know a whole lot about bikes and bike engine repair in general but I'm fairly mechanicaly inclined and I'm thinking this would be a good first bike to both learn how to ride and fix. I've done car work before and I'm having an easy time researching bike engines so far...
What do you guys think? Is the bike worth it? Is a valve guide replacement for a newbie to big a job? Is a valve guide replacement a symptom of somethign worse?
I've been browsing here for a while and you all seem to know your stuff, so any opinions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I cant provide more info...

Mike :ride:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Maxxwilde said:
it needs a valve guide replaced and new heads. Is a valve guide replacement for a newbie to big a job? Is a valve guide replacement a symptom of somethign worse?

Mike :ride:

Mike.

If it needs a new head then just search for a new head since the guides come with the head.

Worn valve guides indicate a lot of time and wear on an engine. They are not that hard to replace but, you need several special tools to do it. Torch, valve guide drift, head holder, valve guide reamer, valve seat cutters and blenders and valve spring compressor. These are just some of the tools needed to do the job. If the valve guides are excessively worn, the valves may need replacing also since the valve stems could be damaged/scratched/scored.

It takes a little experience too. After the guides are replaced you need to recut the valve seats and blend them into the ports and then lap the valves into the seats. Also, it is very easy to damage the head if you don't get the guide in straight. Check at your local dealer for someone that can do this for you.

If all you want to do is learn about bike engines it may be worth getting the bike for $100.00 but, if you are looking for something to ride you may want to spend a little more for something that is already running.

Just my $ .02

Maxxwilde

Oct 8, 2005
<<<Mike.

If it needs a new head then just search for a new head since the guides come with the head.>>>

Well, just talked to the guy and he's throwing in a new head to go with it... Am i right in assuming that if I replace the old head with a new one (and thats the only problem...) it SHOULD run?

<<If all you want to do is learn about bike engines it may be worth getting the bike for $100.00 but, if you are looking for something to ride you may want to spend a little more for something that is already running.

Just my $ .02>>

Well, its a little of both. I definately want to ride, but also learn about engines and bikes in general. Im perfectly ok with getting the bike (for the price) and not riding it for awhile while i do repairs. Wich, it seems i'll be doing. From what you describe, a valve guide replacement is out of my league at the moment. If not for lack of knowledge but for lack of propper toolsLOL
Thanks for replying and for the information! If i can impose one more time, do you have a website for bike parts? I've looked and found several, but im wondering who is good and who people recomend...

M

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003

Maxxwilde

Oct 8, 2005
Ok, things are getting interesting=-)

Finally got the bike and he knocked off a few dollars cause it looked a little older than he mentioned. And, for the fact he really doesnt know what it is. He's not a dirtbike guy, just had one cluttering up his garage and wanted it gone (Something about his wife not liking it :coocoo: )
Anyway, the only info I can find on the body are the numbers " SL 250 SE " and Honda and on the engine 248cc. Im a bit lost as a web search turned up not a whole lot. Read, nothing. I was able to find a early 70's honda sl 125... but no 250. Anyone have any idea's? I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer... I should be getting pics tonight, providing it doesn't rain...

M

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…