bgdog86

Mar 1, 2004
Just got this bike. Owned only two strokes in the past. I just bought the honda hi performance four stroke oil and the Honda HP transmission oil. Got home and the HP trans oil said for two strokes. Can I put this in my 450r transmission? I hear you could, but want to double check before I do. I hear most people put the same oil in the trans as they do the crankcase which I will do from now on but want to use up the trans oil I bought.

FIVE-HUNGE

Sep 28, 2005
The honda 450 should have seperate tranny and crankcase area like a two stroke. seems like 2 smoke tranny oil would be fine, the type of oil used in the crankcase seems like it would be more crucial.

bgdog86

Mar 1, 2004
Looked in the manual. The HP Honda Tranny Oil is fine. Easiest thing to do is use the mid grade Honda engine oil in both, which I will do next time.

Rouse5369

Mar 3, 2005
i just bought my crf250 and the manual and dealership both say good 4 stroke motor oil is fine. i use honda 4 stroke high performance oil.in both motor and transmission.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Arock said:
Just dont put any Oil contaning that "molly" adative in the tranny. It will mess up your clutch
Track myth and BS gets passed around like the plaugue. And why? Becasue each and every time a thread comes up about this issue, there will always be someone who spouts off some statement like Arock made.
Which BTW, is nothing but track myth and BS.

Honda had in mind to keep the duty requirments of the oil down by seperating the sumps. Which, I suppose is a good thing.

But regardless of the sump situation, you should pick an oil that will do the job, without breaking the bank. And there are MANY oils out there that will do that with ease.
7-8$ a qt. for oil is out of the question for me, as I know there are suitible oils for FAR less money that will do the job and do it quite well.

Many like the feel-god factor of using a high priced oil. But it is a fact that many riders are reluctant to change out the oil as often as it should be when they use a high dollar oil.

I know a guy (he's a member here) who has done over 80 oil analysis with different oils in his YZ250F. One of the best anaylisis he has gotten (less wear metals and less shearing of grade) was using Exxon/Mobil 10w40.
The oil cost $1.49 at AutoZone.

Honda dealers are concerned with you buying HP4 and making sure you understand how anything else will ruin your bike. 999 out of 1000 of them will also tell you how the moly in car oils will ruin your clutch.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Good point Jaybird. You can figure 4 changes with the Mobile for 1 ( or your favorite ) vs 1 change of the high dollar stuff. The cleaner the better, after all its all the crap floating in the oil that causes the wear.

Top Bottom