mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I going to buy Honda crf250x. I was talking to dealer he said I should buy a Honda Power Up kit for like $560.00. Ask him what it consist of he said it was a head pipe, jet kit, and something about the spark arrester. Has anyone had any dealings with this kit? It seems kinda high for what you get.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'd ride it first, but I don't doubt Honda offeres a "power up" kit (they did for years for the XR600, with some success). Try the bike first and see if you like it. Everything will last longer if it's stock than if you go start making mods, especially on today's high-revving small bore 4-strokes.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Sounds to me like they are basically selling you an aftermarket exhaust system and jets. The X is like the Yamaha WR250F and comes pretty choked up. There are a lot of things you can do to get more power without sacrificing reliability.

Ask him if he can provide a part number or something where we can look up the power up kit.

I am not saying it is not worth it but there may be some other low cost things you can do first.

Ivan

Jan 3, 2007
mideastrider, i would go with what Pred is saying. Ride it first and if you find yourself needing more power then do the free mods to give you an extra boost of power. Also, F2 racing mkes some good powerback kits for your bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I had heard a while back that Honda had a kit similar to the GTYR Yamaha jet kit. I believe it had richer pilot, main and leak jets. I wanna say a needle too, but I'm not sure. Seems like a lot of money if its just a jet kit and a muffler.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Oh, and if you do get a different muffler and want to sell your stock one let me know.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Unless I change my mind (about the class) this is going to be for a 15y/o to race gncc 4stroke B-lites class. He wants a 250R but I think he will appreciate e-start button. So basically I am shooting for a 250R with electric start.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have the same bike and I first rejetted, changed the needle and then yanked the smog stuff (CA edition). Excellent change and noticeable. I've now gone to the stage one cam and the "R" piston, FMF exhaust and header pipe and rejetting. I haven't gotten the bike back yet but when I do, I know that this set up will give the bike a great boost. If you plan on racing it like you're saying, try those changes. If not, the bike was great stock after the jetting changes. I've had it 3 1/2 years now and the motor is perfect. I'm very happy with it and will keep it over a 450 anyday. Pred is right though, making alot of mods lessens the relaibilty factor, stock they are pretty bullet proof, or Elk proof. ;)

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks Elk thats good info. Do you know the part# of the needle you switched to. Also is that an OEM "R" piston or are you going with the weisco.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
One thing to consider is riding conditions.

Mideastrider I am assuming you are riding in NC like I do?? If so, stock the bike is more than enough for anything except MX. I have had my arse handed to me quite a few times in the NCHSA and Mideast races by guys on stock CRFx's.

Having said that before buying any hop up kit I'd try Elk's recommendations first.

Just be glad your bike doesn't have a powervalve... he has very creative ways of fixing those :)

Ivan

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
Definately get a hotcam stage one kit if you feel you need more power out of the crf250x. It will definately give more power than the honda kit and for only $180. It wont make it like a crf250r because of the gearing and transmission but you will get a lot more low end to mid range power.

Top Bottom