How do i paint my gas tank without it bubbling?

Jun 12, 2005
I repainted my bike awhile ago and the previous owner had painted it aswell and the gas tank wasnt all bubbly when he painted it so i no ther must be some way to paint tanks without the after affect of them bubbling but i dono how? :bang:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
A special type of paint that soaks into plastics and vinyl. Look for it at auto parts stores or other auto suppliers. I think VHT makes a few colors.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Try a spot on the bottom and prime it with pvc primer. Then put paint over it. I have used this pvc "purple" primer as a primer for a lot of plastics and it has worked great. But I havent used it on a tank where sometimes the evaporating vapors come through the plastic and bubble stickers and paint up. But it may be worth a shot on the bottom.
Plastic or vinyl dyes are available also at auto parts stores and other places. But Ive never used them myself.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I'm a auto refinisher , and the way I always paint plastic parts is to use a plastic adhesive promoter, you can get this at a auto parts store, it is best to strip the tank first( try using compressed air and a blower really close to the plastis and blow it off!! clean tank with comet ant soap,let dry and them use the promoter,let dry maybe 20 minutes and then use a good urathane paint!!

Jun 12, 2005
So have you actually used the plastic adhesive promoter on a plastic gas tank and it didnt bubble? Or is it just common sense that the adhesive would make a tight seal and not let any fumes seap threw.

slick74

Sep 6, 2003
I painted mine and it looked pretty good and didn't bubble. Then the paint started to peel off with the pressure washer. Instead of repainting it and going through all that trouble again, I took it to Ameraguard and got them to spray it black with the same stuff they use in bedliners. I know some other places can do it in different colors, but it would be your best bet.

It also makes the tank very grippy!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I used fusion on my sons plastics, followed directions, paint is now very scratched. It might last for a while if you can keep the painted stuff off of the ground.

Top Bottom