XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
I'm in the situation of removing the rear wheel to replace my rear sprocket and grease the hub. My bike is a 99 CR125. Also when I spin the rear tire, I hear a metallic screaching sound, does that mean my rear brake pads are worn out? OK, back to the real wheel removal, I already have the lock nut removed on the right side and the square thingy that holds it in place. Anyone shed some light on how to remove the wheel? Thanks!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
remove the chain from the sprocket through one process or another (either take master link loose or back up the chain adjusters to get enough slack to roll it off). Then take a screwdriver and loosen the pads on the brake rotor. Then remove axle and the wheel will fall out.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here’s what I do.

- Remove the axle nut and slide the axle out. It may be tight but you can tap it with a RUBBER mallet. Clean and grease the entire shaft when you reinstall it.
- Slide the wheel forward as far as you can. This will loosen the chain enough that you can just lift it off the sprocket. It’s a little tricky but with practice it is much easier that breaking (removing the master link) the chain.
- Don’t worry about the brake pads. The wheel will fall right out. You may need to spread the pads with a screwdriver so the disk slide in when you put the wheel back on.

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
ok, ive got the axle nut off on the headpipe side, do i have to take the other side off too? that sqaure thingy? if so, thats my trouble right there.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There is only a nut on one side. The “square thingy” is the head of the axle. The axle may be corroded where it passes through the hub and that is probably why it won’t slide out. Be very careful tapping the axle out so as not to damage the threads. If you put the nut half way on before you try hitting the axle it will protect the threads but be careful.

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
IF you use a hammer

I'll second RM_guy's advice if you use a hammer be careful,
I ended up messing up the threads pretty good cause that axle just wouldn't budge.....
The best advice I have is to be PATIENT, don't get frustrated like I did and just start Whacking the thing.....:p
:confused:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
there is no substitution for a good penetrating oil, let it soak a few days and it should only take one or two hits to break it free.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Ahh, you are replacing your rear sprocket? It has more teeth than the front so turns fewer times than the front so if it is wore the front is probably worse. And if the chain is stretched and wore it should be replaced too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom