Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
I have been using 3 fingers (pinky just hangs out there) for my clutch and then grabbing the grip with my whole hand when not shifting gears, but then if the motor bogs down or the front tire is too high on a jump it takes too long to open my hand back up and grab the clutch. So I have been trying to use 2 fingers on the clutch and the other 2 on the grip and keeping my hand like that the whole time. It doesn't feel comfortable yet, my 4arm gets fatigued quicker, but it functions nice.
I am looking for advice, and just seeing how the masses ride.

thanks for the words all.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wrong Forum. Pay attention please. Did you take the time to read the different forum descriptions?
Moved.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
One finger, index. I've been trying to use my middle finger but have only done that on one ride. Not sure if I'll change or not. Depends on your clutch pull. Some bikes I have to use index and middle.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Two here, on a cable, that will change with a new cluthch. I think its time for hydralic.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I see alot of pictures of pros using their middle finger (on the clutch), but that's not very comfortable for me. I use 2 fingers.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm a two finger guy. I never used to know how many fingers I used until someone asked and I paid attention when I rode. I don't think it matters how many you use as long as you're comfortabe when you're riding.

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
Index finger but I have been having problems with it lately so I'am trying to use my middle finger but it's still a bit awkward. On the front brake also I only use my index finger. This began when Sun Line came out with the shorty levers years ago now I can't find any short levers to fit my bikes. I plan on either cutting and welding or machining my own.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Two fingers. After the second or third lap, four fingers or no clutch at all...tired. :eek:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
This clutch is really easy to pull compared to previous bikes so I try to keep 2 fingers on the clutch at all times. The clutch disengages at the top of the lever so I don't have to pull it all the way in and I have a short lever(broke about an inch off the end) so my other fingers don't get smashed. This setup helps keep my out of trouble because when something happens that causes me to panic, the first thing that automatically happens is that I hold on to the bars tighter which means I'm pulling in the clutch without even thinking about it.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I have been trying to go to 1 or 2 fingers but I find that when I pull my clutch with 1 or 2 fingers, I hit the rest of my knuckles before I get the proper pull. Any suggestions. Maybe bend the level or can you suggest any new levers.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
jaliveto-
If you can't adjust your cable to engage the clutch fully when the lever is up against your knuckles, try the MSR raptor clutch perch/lever or the ONeal ProStyle II levers.

Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
Thanks all thus far. The area that I usually ride is tight & dense; that in conjunction with my stiff clutch makes the 2 finger method tire quickly. I like the 2 method better as a safety catch if it tries to get away though. A couple of you stated that you don't clutch at all. Is that good for the tranny? I have no idea? Thanks

Kenya-640

Sep 17, 2002
First thing I do when I get a new bike is cut the levers so I can use 1 or 2 fingers, clutch and brake. Cutting them also keeps them from getting tweeked when you fall. It's been over 15 years since I've had to buy new levers for a bike.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've never (knocking on wood) had tranny issues and whenever I shift without the clutch I let off the throttle for a split second so I'm not shifting under load. I am certainly not an expert at engine maintenance so I couldn't say for sure what stresses this puts on the tranny but I can say that the majority of racers I talk to and watch at the track rarely use the clutch.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Most people that I know only use the clutch while racing to downshift, then use it for upshift and downshift but only in casual riding. I cut my levers so that I can only fit 2 fingers on them, but this is because my clutch takes awhile to fully disengage so I alway have sore ring and pinky knuckles after riding from the rest of the lever hitting them.

ryder

Mar 8, 2002
I ride with one finger on the clutch and one on the front brake (index). I find that having the other four fingers on the grips helps with stability a lot. Quinton, you mentioned that your forearms pump quickly. Do you regularly lube your clutch cable and grease the lever pivot? Doing these maintenance items frequently will ensure your clutch pulls as easily as possible.

Jalevito, I used to have the same problems until I fitted a 2001 YZ lever (and perch) to my 95. Much more leverage and an on-the-fly quick adjust too. Cost is also much more reasonable compared to other aftermarket lever/perch combos.

Hope it helps guys.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Maybe I'm giving away the big secret, but for motocross I used the clutch to start the race and then again when I pulled up to my truck. The transmissions are constant mesh and don't have high loads on the 'dogs that engage. I'd might 'blip' the throttle on upshifts but not on braking/downshifts. Never had a transmission problem in three years of racing. Maybe now that you guys are holding on to the bars with all four fingers, you will be less likely to run into us when you're passing the over 40 riders. For enduros and trail riding you can use the clutch to control traction on turns, hills, off-cambers, etc. But in motocross the idea is to either be accelerating or braking. If your clutch is pulled in, the engine isn't helping you with either.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
But in motocross the idea is to either be accelerating or braking. If your clutch is pulled in, the engine isn't helping you with either.

I just had to comment on this. There is a huge gray area between the clutch being engaged or disengaged. A 125 can not be ridden as fast as possible without feathering the clutch, and I use the clutch to save some time from additional shifting even on my 520.

Top Bottom