How does KDX 250 headlight bulb go in?

smaggard

Sep 19, 2004
I've searched and searched and read about the troubles in finding bulbs and such. But I recently bought this 93 KDX 250 as I posted before and it doesn't have a headlight hooked up.

I did find the harness behind the steering head so that's good. However the factory manual never shows how a bulb goes in (I haven't found a bulb yet), but does the bulb go into the socket, then the socket mounts to the housing?

Or does the bulb lock into the housing and then the socket goes on?

The tail light wasn't wired up either, so I got an LED 1156 as I saw in my searches to test the stator, sure enough I wired it up and the LED's are bright, nice, so I should have more power for a headlight too.

Since these supposedly havea 70W coil can I use a 55w bulb up front since that LED in the rear is likely not drawing much juice?

Thanks!

The bike's finally coming together, new brakes, new chain/sprockets, FMF Fatty will be here any day and a new FMF s/a just got here. I may be able to ride it in a week finally!! Can't wait!

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
You could use a 55w bulb it may dim down some at idle or luggin around on slow tight trails but it will probably work.

Jim

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I don't think the KDX250 puts out 70 watts. The LED tailights will take less power than the stock taillight which will help the headlight run brighter, but IMO a 55 watt bulb is still going to be dim except at high rpm. I think the stock headlight bulb was 35 watts.

Can't remember about the stock KDX shell (my 250 had a dual sport kit with Acerbis DOT legal headlight) You can view a microfiche of the stock assembly at www.buykawasaki.com

smaggard

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks for the replies!

I guess my only reason for thinking that it has a 70w stator was some of MattGt's old posts, I haven't actually metered it or anything.

Well it appears that the case is brittle where the bulb goes in. There is a brand new one on the big auction site, but then I need that $20 bulb, so by then I might as well get an Acerbis/Ufo unit I guess.
I'm looking for one of those now. The one has dual 35w bulbs, that's what I think mattgt had on his, then others with 200's said that with dual 35 watters they were dim and they would only hook up one.

So off to do more research I guess :)

thanks!

smaggard

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks Jason!

That's one I was looking at. Also they make the other DHH with the dual 35W bulbs, one a pencil beam and one flood. I thought even if both won't run bright, might be nice to be able to switch between wide and narrow beams like that....but we'll see.

p.s. How come all of your old posts in KDX 250 threads and older threads are blank??

thanks again
peace
Scott

smaggard

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks Jason for the tips!

My profile was wrong for some reason, I only have the 93 KDX 250. I joined DRN before I actually bought it though, maybe that's why...

I'm still researching the headlights, Electrex does have a 75W unit, so I may need that for the dual setup so I may just get the normal DHH that you mentioned.

Top Bottom