How long does it take to get out of shape?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I swear the older I get the faster I lose my endurance. Riding was almost -0- for most of 2003 so when DW03 rolled around I started trying to get more seat time which didn't really happen. After I got back I did get a chance to get back on track and over the next couple of months actually worked back up to doing 2 mx classes and surviving. After only one month of no riding due to weather I got the chance to practice today. The last time I rode I actually felt really good but today I pumped up after about 1 lap. The hands quit working after one more. I pulled off the track and rested for a few minutes and managed to get about 2 or 3 good laps in before I pumped up again. Another 15 minute break and I was able to play chase with a couple of other riders and this time I made about 6 or 7 hard laps and rode pretty good but then everything went to hell in a hand-basket. My hands started slipping off the bars, my feet would slide off the pegs and knew I had better quit. After another 15 minute break I tried to do a few more laps but I felt worn out.
It's about 5 hours later and I'm sitting at home with my arms feeling like two limp noodles wondering how I can lose my endurance so quickly.
Is it just me or do some of you other older riders experience this? I willl say it didn't take me long to work back up to two classes the last time after all that time off. I also wonder if the younger riders go through this or is this something that comes with age?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Jeff, I do a lot of exercise during the year so I rarely have conditioning problems. But arm pump has little to do with conditioning; you have to turn laps to get into riding shape.

As we age it becomes so important to stay in good condition. I try to run 15 to 20 miles per week. I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week (for just 20 minutes) to stay in condition; I've given up on trying to "look" good. I also have found that spin-cycling is great conditioning for riding (and skiing) because of the constant up and down.

I know it’s hard to commit the time to exercise but it IS a necessity. I exercise as soon as I wake in the morning, otherwise I know it will just not get done.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Jeff Gilbert said:
but then everything went to hell in a hand-basket. My hands started slipping off the bars, my feet would slide off the pegs and knew I had better quit. my arms feeling like two limp noodles wondering how I can lose my endurance so quickly.
I'm 40 and i get that when unloading the bike :think:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
I have noticed the older you get the harder you have to work to stay in shape.I would say after about 2 weeks your conditioning starts going down hill fast.And once you get out of shape it seems to take longer to get back in. Im with rv6junkie on the exersize thing I do some kind of exersize 6 days a week sort of a lifestyle thing. Ofcourse there is nothing better than riding but if you cant ride spend some time working out.

mkandl53

Mar 8, 2002
I am a 50 yr old MX'r and have the same problem(s)! It is my experience that in 2 weeks of no conditioning exercise, you can get really out of shape. The sooner you start the conditioning program again, the quicker the return to that original fitness level. I can only imagine that the need for vigalance (sp?) gets more important as the years go on, but I am up for the challange.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
mkandl53 said:
The sooner you start the conditioning program again, the quicker the return to that original fitness level.
I agree with you. I wrote a rather lengthy ride report that covers my experiences this weekend. It had only been two weeks since my last race, I felt pretty good at that one. When Sat rolled around I knew I had better get some track time in before Sunday's race and there I was again, feeling like I had just come off of a 6 month Krispy Kream convention.

Saturday's practice got me mentally prepared that I was just not cut out to ride mx. It wasn't untill way late in the day that I started feeling okay at best. When Sunday rolled around I only did a few laps for practice. Though feeling better it was all a little "up in the air" mentally for me. When the gate dropped I was back in top condition again. I entered two classes and was riding very aggresively and competitively. It wasn't untill that last couple of laps in my 3rd moto that fatigue sat in. By the last race I was spent but mentally in shape for the next time. I have to ride at least once a week or it all goes to pot. :uh:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
rv6junkie said:
I try to run 15 to 20 miles per week. I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week (for just 20 minutes) to stay in condition;

I know it’s hard to commit the time to exercise but it IS a necessity. I exercise as soon as I wake in the morning, otherwise I know it will just not get done.

I'm with Gary. I lift every other morning for a half hour do cardio on the off days and run2-5 miles on the days I lift. I'm in the best shape of my life at 46 but if I slack for a week or two I can really tell the difference when I pick it back up. Early morning is the best time for me to get this done.

Last edited:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Early morning is the best time for me to get this done.[/QUOTE]

Ya its really hard to get motivated after you come home from work.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Well, I'm 50 now and fully agree with comments about how much harder it is to stay in shape. A couple of years ago I decided that I would have one last really good season, and spent all winter staying as fit as I could, mostly cardio, with 45 mins each day at 80% heart rate, and I did feel ready to race. That is, until I did the first practise session of the year ( early March ) and could only do about 10 mins., with only about half that anywhere near speed. I thought I had been using most of the vulnerable muscles during my exercises, but it seems there is just no substitute for seat time, and it took several more practise sessions before I felt able to race. I'd just got fit enough and rather stupidly fell off and broke my fibula, and since then I've never really been as fit again, but this winter I have spent a bit of time in the garage on the exercise machinery, and last Saturday went for practise, with predictable results ! Anyhow, I have now realised that there is just no easy way, and the winter exercising must be double hard, so that when riding time comes around all that remains is to get "bike fit", rather than having to start from scratch. Old age really does catch up with you, and the best way to keep it at bay is make full use of what faculties you still have, subject to wear and tear. ( 6 weeks ago I had the other knee done for torn cartilage etc., and now I have a painful hip too, youth really is wasted on the young ). :whiner:

evil

Sep 3, 2003
hi im not old so i dont have this problem, no offence! my dad is 46yrs old and a ironman triathlete. and he had a foot injury so running was out of the question. for just the couple of months he was down he lost alot of endurance. so during "retraining" we worked with "diet" not dieting! but my dad has always been one for the sweets and hates those powerbars! i dont know who likes those things. anyway if you want to stay in shape and be conditioned for the sport your in you have to eat correctly, the bad habbits that you have at my age will catch up when your my dads age. eat good carbs resist bad carbs and get the book "eating for your blood type". any anarobic excercise like walking or hiking in the off season or during an injury is going to not only boost your energy level but help you heal faster. just some thoughts that kept my dad going hope it helps.

-adam

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Im going to have to take alook at that book. Speaking of good carbs I happen to know that beer has some really good carbs :laugh:

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
All I can add is at 40 years old it only takes me a week or two to be out of shape. Age sucks but I definitly like the Beer and carbs thing !!!

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Just so you 'older' guys don't feel so bad.
I'm 22 and consider mysle fin pretty good shape, don't smoke or drink either and up until 2002 i was riding every weekend and jogging and swimming every other day to keep fit. It was great back then but still I would get a little arm pump towards the end of the race and I really started to struggle on my last 1 or 2 laps.

I've just got back into racing after a year off the saddle and it's a struggle. I got on the track last weekend and it was one of the hardest circiuts i think i had ever been, the bumps were just evil! after 3 reasonably quick laps I was pretty much over and out. absolutely wrecked! I was out for about 5 laps max at a time then had to take a 30 min break.
so I at only 22 desperately need to get back into shape like you guys too.

It's not about age, i promise you.

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Well this is a VERY timly topic for me!! I'm 46 and ride/race with mostly younger guys that just don't understand how hard it is to stay in shape at my age.

Last weekend I raced a enduro here in N Ca. and at about 50 miles (3 hours) into the race I hit the wall !! I had NOTHING. I went into pure survival mode and somehow made it another 2 1/2 hours of racing. One of the hardest mental and phisical days of my life. I rode 70 mile of this coure just 2 weeks prior to the race with some fast friends and we ripped it up to the last mile THEN my back went out and could do nothing for the 2 weeks before the race. I usualy go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I was SHOCKED by how quickly I got out of shape !! I couldn't figure out why I was so spent and then started to wonder if it was my age and the lack of conditioning over the last 2 weeks. Live and learn I guess. I know NOW how very important it is to keep up your fitness rotines.

Thanks for starting this post!
Dan

Top Bottom