How many trails can xr400r bearings take?

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
I`ve got a `97 xr400r , its been a great bike. Reliability has been everthing it is suppose to be. The only things that have happened is broken clutch cable (normal wear-out item , and steering stem bearings ( maybe due to lack of factory grease ? Was wondering if I should replace the wheel, shock,linkage, and swing arm bearings? I havent noticed any play, odd sounds, or anything to suggest that they are in need of changing , but don`t want to get caught on the trail with a failure. Also after priceing them , I don`t really want to spend $220 until I really need them. What are some clues that tell ya when its time?
Thanks for any help,
knobby hob

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I'd say go ahead and pull the linkage apart and inspect and regrease everything, and replace any worn out bearings. Usually you can tell if the linkage bearings are toasted by putting the bike on a stand and seeing if you can get any up and down play on the swingarm. But, they're probably dry, rusty and rough anyway if you've never had it apart to grease them. Same with the wheel bearings.......Honda doesn't put much grease on anything. I got almost 2 years out of my stock wheel bearings and steering bearings on my XR600.

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
Thanks for your reply Big Bore. I guess I just wasn`t even thinking, but re- greasing , if not rusted or smoked could save me some $$$$. I think the wheel bearings are of "race bearing type". Is it possible to remove the dust covers without damaging them and can I remove the needle bearings of the linkage and swing arm, grease and re-install? Not sure what type of bearing is in the shock. I`ll give it a go.
Thanks again,
Knobby Hob

Oct 30, 2000
as trail says,

if u havent touched the swingarm bolt yet, you're in for sum fun.

trouble with xrs is that u get lazy & do nuthin till its too late.

treat a xr like a urinepean bike (preventative maintenance - wots that??) & it will go 4 eva!!

ride boy ride

hs400

ThumpinTahoe

Jan 19, 2002
Pull your swing arm bolt and grease those bearings at least every year and make sure you use anti sieze on the shaft. When you wash your bike water gets in there and causes problems. Good luck!

Top Bottom