yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
My bikes were stolen this weekend and I now have to find replacements. I am a Yamaha guy and my previous bike was a 2000 YZ250 set up perfect for the woods. Man I loved that bike... :whiner:

Anyway, a friend of mine has a 2002 CRF450 that has about 15 hours on it if that. The bike is meticulous. It was ridden very little because he injured his shoulder shortly after purchasing it. It has a complete suspension revalve and everything for my weight. A new FMF Powerbomb pipe and silencer, new soft/int. terrain tires, bark busters, new o-ring chain and sprockets and a new aluminum lift stand. All the stock parts are included, they are like new and only replaced for upgrading purposes not because of use.

I believe he wants $4,500.00 is this a good price? I have no idea about 4-strokes. I have always ridden 2-strokes.

Any help is appreciated.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I paid $4000 for my 02 about 2 months ago. It had a RTT steering damper, white bros pipe and a IMS tank.

I dont think 4500 is way out of line but its a little high.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
jeff, I wanted to ask you what you think of the Honda over your past bike. I think you said you were riding a yamaha. You look to be about my height. I read that the honda felt short for guys in the 6' plus range. Last ride you seem to fit it well and you fly on the thing. My husky fits well from pegs to seat, but it also feels big in the tigh stuff.
What else did you do to get the bike ready for off-road and the TWMC enduros? Is the bike light in flywheel and did you have to change it? Also did your bike come with excel or DID wheels? I'll be out for awhile and I just though I'd try and take a look at some of the honda's. Maybe it's time to think about selling the big Husky. I'd assume that the CRF450 would handle the tight stuff better and would be ideal for the track. Also are you running the 19" wheel or did you change it to an 18"?

Anyway, thanks for any input and maybe I'll ride with you guys sometime this spring when my knees tight again.

Ed

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
yz250flash, sorry about your bikes and didn't mean to walk on your post. Good luck in what ever you do. I know the 2002's are running approx. 3900-4600 out here in CA.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
2002 CRF huh, well the 05's are starting to come out. I would think he could possibly get that but if it were my buddy though I wouldnt give him over 4000. It would still have to be reeeeal nice too. That needs the airbox fix too if he didnt already do it. Those valves I believe were a little suspect and most people replace the triple clamp or dogbone for better handling.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Flash- I was going to reply to Dingoe via PM but I thought since your in the market you might want some info on the bike. Like GreenB said $4000 wouldnt be to bad.

Dingoe-
I really think the CRF is going to be a good bike for me. Due to lack of current funds it’s going to take a little bit of time for me to dial it in.

The guy I bought the bike from was on the shorter side. He shaved one inch off the seat and ran low bars in his lap. I’m 6’2 and this doesn’t work for me. It’s too much of a transition from sitting to standing. I also feel like I’m going to fall over the front end when standing. Overall the CRF seems to be geared to riders under 6’. I have already ordered some bars risers from RTT so that should help. I’m also going to pick up a tall seat.

I had my WR suspension worked over by RG3 and it was great. If I had to compare stock WR to stock CRF I would have give it to the CRF. Again once dollars permit I will have the suspension redone. I had a few front washouts at the last ride that really lowered my ears. Maybe if I didn’t weight in at 215 lbs it wouldn’t be a problem. I do think that once the suspension is done it will be better than my WR was.

Remember the tight bush trail we plowed through? I stalled the CRF maybe 6 times going through there. I never stalled the WR. I assume that has something to do with flywheel weight but I don’t know enough about it to give advice. Even though I killed the motor a few times it did cut through the bush rather well.

I’m not sure which wheels I have but I do know it’s a 19” rear. Whenever the rear is destroyed I will swap to an 18”.

One last thing…. The air box sucks. I have totally disassembled it and rebuilt with a healthy amount of silicone sealant. On top of that the filter gets extremely dirty very fast. I need to figure a way to divert some of the direct airflow off of the filter. It’s also a pain in the butt to install. Very poor overall design in my opinion

Things I will do in the near future
Revalve and respring suspension
Tall seat
Filter skins
Hand guards

Things I would like to do
Billet kickstand
Sharkfin for the rear
XR’s only larger rear reservoir ( I smoked my rear brake at the Jan enduro)
18” rear wheel
Possibly different flywheel (I need to do a little more homework)

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have an 04 crf and I noticed a little push coming into the corners when I got it. I weigh in at 180 nekkid so I guess I am not really a lightweight. I dropped my forks to 8 or 9 mm down in the clamps now which seems to make the handling a lot better in the tight woods I am carving in deeper on turns that I was outside on top of the berm before. As far as the stalling goes I am running a 52 in the rear which I think is one too many but that and bumping my idle up a little made all the stalling and lugging problems disappear.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
JWW, Thanks for the input and it sounds like you've got your work cutout for you. I guess all bikes have the kinks that need dealing with for specific riders or riding terrain. The husky is big, but all I've done is tires a 50 tooth rear sprocket and the Dicks suspension (some other small stuff) and it works well in the wood/desert and is Ok at the tracks. Best on big open tracks like Cahuilla, would be good at Glen Helen too but I haven't been there yet. It's not the best, but it works across the board on the terrain spectrum. Maybe I should just be happy and learn to handle it in the tough spots. I didn't stall in the bush on that ride, but I had to take it real slow just to make the turns and all. That was some tight stuff and the branches took one of my rear spokes and trashed my left rad shroud. Had to order that stuff last weekend.

Anyhoo, sounds like the CFR450 is a good bike and with some changes can branch into the off-road world just fine. I bet it's a blast on a track like Glen Helen. Living so close do you ride there at all. I'd like to give it a go when my knee gets better.

Overall I think the flywheel weight would be a big help and maybe a tooth or two on the rear.

Good luck.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Okay guys, thanks for the replies so far. Now for the update. I just got in from riding the bike. When it rolled out of the back of the truck you would have thought it was new. Hardly a scratch on the plastic, all the warning stickers still on it and barely any scratchs from the boots on the clutch and magneto cover.

Oh yea...it's a 2003.

The bike has awesome power. A different power from my YZ. It tracks well and handles the woods well. It doesn't seem as heavy as I thought it would. But definately a different feeling than riding my 2 stroke

Now that I find out it is a 2003 how is the price. As far as the condition, like I said it looks as though it has been ridden maybe once. I think 15 hours is a overstatement.

What problems were there with the '03? Anything I should know about?

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
YZ250flash, sounds like you'll need to change your nickname with a bike like that. Way to go on that deal. I'd didn't follow the 2003 that much so I'm no help, but some of these guys may be. Also check in at Thumpertalk.com for info.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Well, I bought the bike last night for $4,100.00. Pretty good deal I think. It worked out for the both of us. Me having to replace a bike that I didn't expect to be replacing and him selling one that wasn't being used.

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom